Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Evil Dead

Are games too slow?

I was recently player Street Fighter 2 for the PS2, now i remember being very competent at the game (Level 7 straight through without continue with most characters)

Since everything has gone 3D it has been slowing down the games no end (platformers and beat 'em ups especially)

With the next generation of console looming ever closer, are games going to become eye candy only losing skill and reflexes to the graphics and animation?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Is Having a Baby!

Re: Are games too slow?

Quote:
Originally posted by crippler666
With the next generation of console looming ever closer, are games going to become eye candy only losing skill and reflexes to the graphics and animation?
I sometimes wonder if people cares about the game they are playing are how great the graphics look.

You always hear "The Graphics are so amazing" "Look at those graphics!". You never hear "Look at that gameplay!" or "That Gameplay is amazing!"

If you care about how it looks watch a movie. Gameplay was better on the Super nintendo. Its all hype now a days.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Evil Dead

I don't mind a game looking good but the gameplay must also measure up.

If you look at the coments upon the new consoles its always about games such as:

Warhawk, Killzone (PS3)

Halo 3, Perfect Dark (Xbox 360)

All look good and play fast, but what will be the real difference between these games and Quake or Doom?

A new Mario and Zelda games for the Revolution, but what will be the difference to Gamecube.

I will get a PS3 ( I still own the other 2 consoles), but not because of the graphics. The innovations in gameplay and variety of game has me sold.

I do agree though yes the graphics are more important now, but if they didn't we would all own A PS1 or SNES.

Ijust hope that they don't slow down games further and remove the need for a player entirely.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
I think half lfe 2 made a perfect combination of the two. graphics and gameplay. not easy to do.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Viewtiful Joe on Gamecube had a great combo of graphics and gameply. Havnt played it on the other systems, though.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Evil Dead

Played Viewtiful Joe 1+2, both are really good games as 2D

Please no-one change this as this is the way it should be

Some games work in 3D, others don't
Old 07-24-2005, 03:22 PM
NinjaFlee

Re: Are games too slow?

Quote:
Originally posted by crippler666
I was recently player Street Fighter 2 for the PS2, now i remember being very competent at the game (Level 7 straight through without continue with most characters)

Since everything has gone 3D it has been slowing down the games no end (platformers and beat 'em ups especially)

Dude if your into 2d beat em ups I reccomend you get XB live, it has SFAC, CvS2 along with other beat em ups.

I know what you mean about the 3d games getting slower, I enjoy playing the very occational 3d game but generaly it's mainly 2d beat em ups for me. The 3d games are good if thats your thing. I still play alot of SF and at the momment am consentating on Strreet Fight 3 Third strike.

Anyone that is still up for playing SF on a cometitive level should check shoryuken.com forums. I found the sight 2 years aro and it's got me playin SF competivly.

Any way this is my first post here I'll try and pay a visit from time to time
Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 PM
The Dork Knight

My main problem is with how short they are rather than how slow they are(I don't believe they are).

The two Spiderman video games put out on ps2 have fantastic graphics but they're too short, Batman Begins also had great graphics and gameplay and imo was like the Spiderman games, too short.

The more they put into graphics the less they can put into the length of the game, it cost God knows how much to get the games to look like they do so they can't make it too long because it would cost too much to make it look that good for a long time.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
My main problem is with how short they are rather than how slow they are(I don't believe they are).

The two Spiderman video games put out on ps2 have fantastic graphics but they're too short, Batman Begins also had great graphics and gameplay and imo was like the Spiderman games, too short.

The more they put into graphics the less they can put into the length of the game, it cost God knows how much to get the games to look like they do so they can't make it too long because it would cost too much to make it look that good for a long time.
I agree, to a degree. GTA Series in 3D is the exception to the rule. Now adays they aim for replay value instead of 1 long game which you won't go back to after the End Game Sequence.

But that leads to another question, If the game is short, are they putting enough extra's to bring you back for more?

As good as Gran Turismo is, after a while racing the same tracks, the same model of car for 10 years running (75 coupe, 76 coupe, 77 coupe deluxe) I would much rather have 100 different cars, than 700 that run the same.

Other than Burnout 3 nothing has gripped me race wise for a long time...