Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Evil Dead

"Resident Evil: Afterlife"

The further adventures of professional zombie ass kicker Alice, this time in L.A.

Phantom's Review: If you liked the other ones, you'll like this one.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Misanthrope

Predators

Loved it. Should've taken the time to see it at the cinema. Quite similar to Terminator: Salvation in a way. But yeh... killer.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Bad Natured

Jar City (2006). An Icelandic triumph? This crime drama from the cold and dreary realms of Iceland could almost rely on the laurels of its cinematography, which transports the viewer to an alien land of frozen glaciers and bogs that are volcanically and geologically fussy. But this flick is more than a visual treat, for the characters are just as wonderfully tough and bitter as the weather, rugged cookies with real and twisted lives, just like in the states and everywhere else I suppose. As this film unfolds, we almost get a taste of this isolated country, with a trip to a fast food joint providing fare that is as chilling and disgusting as the seedy tastes of this frosty society. The acting, pooling its talent from a rather small pond, provided a wonderful cast for the job at hand. The story itself, cookie-cutter at times, sprinkled with humor both light and dark, was also a multilayered affair with twists and turns, an occasionally disjointed time-line, which has its seemingly tangential events come together in its denouement. An island half the size of England with around 320,000 people, there is almost a small town feel to the whole of it, heaping an almost incestuous air onto these isolated peoples. With all aspects of this movie handled with adroit flare, it was a rare treat to be transported into this forgotten island of humanity.
Genruk

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Scares Little Kids

Lake Dead - Directed by George Bessudo

Rating: 3/10
This movie was just plain awful. Really, just terrible. It could barely hold my attention throughout. It's formula is as generic as it gets. The "psycho killers" in this film look like the Geico Caveman. It's only nice quality was a decent gore scene in the beginning. Apart from that, it seemed really amateur, and quite frankly, boring. It's part of the "After Dark Horrorfest" which I am a pretty big fan of. This movie just didn't cut it though. If you insist on completing the entire series, then give it a go. Otherwise, avoid it.

"We are fascinated by the darkness in ourselves, we are fascinated by the shadow, we are fascinated by the boogeyman." - Anthony Hopkins
Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
May

Still one of my favorite indie horror movies ever. Angela Bettis is simply incredibly. And it's so artfully directed. Really can't get sick of this one (though, oddly enough, the boyfriend thinks it doesn't have much rewatchability... I have to disagree though). It's currently on Comcast on Demand for free. Check it out if you have the service.

4.75/5.
I HAVE to agree with you here, this move was fantastic! I saw it a few weeks ago for free as well, on Verizon's FEARnet. Angela Bettis was amazing, and Jeremy Sisto was also great in this. The two characters complemented each other perfectly. That awkward tension throughout was really incredible. I've seen it twice now and I can't get sick of it either. I wasn't expecting much out of it when I turned it on, but it proved to be a really fun, and unexpectedly deep indie horror flick.

"We are fascinated by the darkness in ourselves, we are fascinated by the shadow, we are fascinated by the boogeyman." - Anthony Hopkins
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
Lake Dead - Directed by George Bessudo

Rating: 3/10
This movie was just plain awful. Really, just terrible. It could barely hold my attention throughout. It's formula is as generic as it gets. The "psycho killers" in this film look like the Geico Caveman. It's only nice quality was a decent gore scene in the beginning. Apart from that, it seemed really amateur, and quite frankly, boring. It's part of the "After Dark Horrorfest" which I am a pretty big fan of. This movie just didn't cut it though. If you insist on completing the entire series, then give it a go. Otherwise, avoid it.

I agree 100%- this movie was a crapper.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistinas666 View Post
I agree 100%- this movie was a crapper.
Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitto to both of you guys.

I found this movie to be absolute crap. And what really pisses me off is that there HAS to be other indie filmmakers out there who are producing quality films (I mean, think about movies like Murder Party or Evil Aliens - Total low budget films that are GOOD) and THIS is the kind of tripe that gets attached to Afterdark Horrorfest.

Honestly, Afterdark Horrorfest gets a really bad rep, but I generally defend it - I think that it's had quite a few good films over the years... But when they roll out shit like Lake Dead, I find it absolutely embarrassing... I mean... COME ON.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Pirate of Bengal

A Serbian Film (2010)

>>: B-

Dark House (2009)

>>: D+

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP McCoy View Post
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010

I didn't find Haley's Freddy to be at all menacing,or to have any real presence.I don't think this lack of menace and presence was at all helped by the way several scenes were shot making Freddy look so diminutive that he resembled I child wearing a Halloween costume.I didn't like the make up either,I know they were going for a more authentic burns victim look,but all I saw was a miniture,bald version of Vincent from the Beauty and the Beast TV series.
The teen characters were so bland and utterly devoid of charisma that it was hard to care when they met their (Predictble) ends,in fact the entire cast (Ironically) seemed to be half asleep throughout,although to be fair I don't think they had a lot to work with.Even the more memorable and impactful scenes from the original were reproduced here with such a lack of style and imagination as to render them criminally ineffectual.For me this is the worst remake since The Fog.
Fully agree with you except...it was even worse than The Fog remake, IMO.

Their too smart idea to gave it a more dark tone & a real burn victim look to Freddy failed horribly. Along with Haley's Freddy all the characters turned out awfully boring throughout the movie and which resulted a terrible slow pace to carry the film till the end. It seems all the cast & crew members were forced to making the film in a limited schedule. While watching the cast & crew interview I was just wondering how people can be so blind, ignorant & stupid while they were working on such a sensitive project...to remake a so popular & acclaimed film like Wes Craven's ANOES...one of the most innovative, interesting & lovable films in the genre ever made. It was sad to see such an awful entry New Line have added to the franchise, the low rated later parts of the original was far & far better than this total piece of crap.

>>: D

Naboer aka Next Door
(2005)

An excellent psychological thriller from Norway. Check this out asap if you haven't seen it yet.

>>: A-

Last edited by roshiq; 09-30-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Misanthrope

I thought they did really well with the Elm St remake.

I like the new Freddy a lot. Dark and twisted.

Of course I like the original more for sentimental reasons and the fact it did it first but the remake is solid and I hope they get to make some sequels and flesh it out some more.

The original series is still there so it's not the end of the world and this film was a hell of a lot more interesting than what I could see the studios doing with it.

I dunno different strokes for different folks :)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I thought they did really well with the Elm St remake.

I like the new Freddy a lot. Dark and twisted.

Of course I like the original more for sentimental reasons and the fact it did it first but the remake is solid and I hope they get to make some sequels and flesh it out some more.

The original series is still there so it's not the end of the world and this film was a hell of a lot more interesting than what I could see the studios doing with it.

I dunno different strokes for different folks :)
As it's coming from you...now it actually seems the End is near! :eek:

Just Kidding, bro;) but yeah...I couldn't able to find any single scary or fun moment (except the boo in the closet was a little decent effort) in the film. 'Nancy' looked or appeared like she wasn't sure what's her part in the film. The story progressed with that hot chick Kris at first then it took little bit time to decide "okay...who's gonna now take the lead?" and throughout the film they failed to develop a single solid lead...it seems they were bit confused how to handle those characters. One of the most interesting elements of an Elm Street film is the subtle slide back and forth from the real world to the dream world which they didn't get at all right here. Moreover, there wasn't any whimsical world of nightmares. Wooden acting, complete lack of tension & suspense contributed a very low energy from the start to end and btw, I can't remember but was there any signature ANOES like background music that they use in this version?