Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Huh. Usually our tastes are in synch, but I was not a huge fan of this one... I just couldn't suspend my disbelief... The more elaborate the traps are, the more I think, "Really? Really? HOW could he have POSSIBLY set that up?!"
For me the fun of the incredulous capacity for this industrious killer blunted my disbelief.

Gaslight (1944). Flouting plot holes in order to tell this creepy tale, this psychological thriller takes its protagonist to the brink. The setting paints a picture of post-aristocratic London with aplomb, making for a wonderful canvas upon which to allow events to unfold. The acting was superb, with Ingrid Bergman using her eyes to reveal the explosive sense of despondency as her world turns against her. With solid direction and wonderfully soft camera work, events move towards their inevitable denouement with nary a chance for a reprieve. With a wonderfully satisfying ending, this classic is sure to remain at the top of its game for years to come. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
For me the fun of the incredulous capacity for this industrious killer blunted my disbelief.
Same here. The 'realistic or practical' aspect or possibilities doesn't concern me sometime while enjoying a decent thrill ride of a film like this one.

Cold Prey 2 (2008)

Just finished watching this fantastic follow up of 2006's sensational Norwegian hit Fritt vilt aka Cold Prey. Like the original Halloween II (81) it started just after the massacre of the first film and I must admit this is not only one of the few films that may all-around surpass its predecessor but also one of the Greatest Slasher films ever made...at least in my account of this beloved sub genre of horror. Gore is perfectly present as far the body count progress & incidents require, suspense grows in an awesome fashion along with the careful & adequate development of the characters but above the major credit goes to the director for his masterful skills in camera work to keep the pace & tension brilliantly all through the movie. Undoubtedly it's a very rare gem for the fans in this 'remake & homage' age of Slashers.

>>: A
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Misanthrope

Damn I totally forgot about Cold Prey. I was waiting for it to hit the stores here which never happened.

-----

Paranormal Entity

Figured this would fill the void until Paranormal Activity 2 comes out. This one lacked the subtlety of PA especially when it came to the staging of shots. Loved the ending but the build up to it could've been fleshed out more and made more menacing.

The Hitcher II

Yeh... pretty lame really. I remember not minding it when I caught it on TV awhile back but thought it was average this time round. Still not as much of an insult to the original as the remake.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 PM
The Andraculoid

I loved Cold Prey 1 and 2.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Evil Dead

Genesis & Aftermath: Two shorts by Nacho Cerda. Genesis is a pretty good short about how much an artist can put into their work. Very well done. Not as graphic as I thought of since I watched it after Aftermath. Aftermath is about a morgue tech that takes things a bit too far. Really, really well done. No dialogue, but damn do you ever get a feel for the main character. Definitely not for the squeamish at all.

Runaway Train: Highly recommended. Pretty tense action throughout. Plus it has this absolutely great exchange:

Sara: You're an animal!
Manny: No, worse! Human!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Misanthrope

Runaway Train is nothing short of brilliant. Really dug that one. Quite fond of Aftermath too. Beautifully shot and grizzly.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Pirate of Bengal

La Horde (2009)

>>: B+
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 AM
Bad Natured

Strange Days (1995). This long and rather slow paced sci-fi uses its time to get to the climax with aplomb. The story itself was solid and intriguing, blending strong elements of technology and the non-PC realities in living the American dream, all set in the peri-apocalyptic moment of the new millenia. The acting was solid, though the dialog was at times lamentable. The direction was strong and the camera work excellent. Though it could have been editied down to around two hours, I suspect that Director Kathryn Bigelow had her reasons to do keep the reel so fat. Merci beaucoup.
Genruk

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

Fritt vilt aka Cold Prey

after much positive hype, I finally got to watch this one.

It was a pretty much "by the numbers" slasher. Surely didn't break new ground.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Evil Dead

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010

I don't expect much from remakes,I keep my expectations fairly low and perhaps that is why I can usually find at least a modicum of enjoyment in even the most modest of "reimaginings",not in this case I didn't.
I thought Jackie Earle Haley was excellent in Watchmen and on the back of that I thought he was a good choice to play Freddy when the casting was announced,I have now changed my mind.I didn't find Haley's Freddy to be at all menacing,or to have any real presence.I don't think this lack of menace and presence was at all helped by the way several scenes were shot making Freddy look so diminutive that he resembled I child wearing a Halloween costume.I didn't like the make up either,I know they were going for a more authentic burns victim look,but all I saw was a miniture,bald version of Vincent from the Beauty and the Beast TV series.
The teen characters were so bland and utterly devoid of charisma that it was hard to care when they met their (Predictble) ends,in fact the entire cast (Ironically) seemed to be half asleep throughout,although to be fair I don't think they had a lot to work with.Even the more memorable and impactful scenes from the original were reproduced here with such a lack of style and imagination as to render them criminally ineffectual.For me this is the worst remake since The Fog.