Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 AM
Bad Natured

The Collector (2009). A ballet of mechanical paranoia and torture from the writers of Saw, this one is a splendid way to get your squirm on. The first act sets the tone for the attendees of this sick party, with the remaining time best left to discover new devices for body fluids and parts to abscond from their host to see the world. Saddled with plot holes, the driving force of this nasty flick does not allow time for such deliberations. The acting, especially lead Josh Stewart, was more than solid. The writing and direction were effective, the editing far from peaceful. The score was industrial strength creepy, creating an atmosphere of dread when the music stopped. Overall this was a great way to exercise the crinkle muscles of the forehead. Late.
Genruk

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
The Collector (2009). A ballet of mechanical paranoia and torture from the writers of Saw, this one is a splendid way to get your squirm on. The first act sets the tone for the attendees of this sick party, with the remaining time best left to discover new devices for body fluids and parts to abscond from their host to see the world. Saddled with plot holes, the driving force of this nasty flick does not allow time for such deliberations. The acting, especially lead Josh Stewart, was more than solid. The writing and direction were effective, the editing far from peaceful. The score was industrial strength creepy, creating an atmosphere of dread when the music stopped. Overall this was a great way to exercise the crinkle muscles of the forehead. Late.
Genruk
Huh. Usually our tastes are in synch, but I was not a huge fan of this one... I just couldn't suspend my disbelief... The more elaborate the traps are, the more I think, "Really? Really? HOW could he have POSSIBLY set that up?!"

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Little Boo

Saw IV.

I was only able to watch half of it but it did feel like the 1st Saw in a way and John Kramer's backstory was interesting aswell.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

starship troopers 3
the killing fields
Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Machete- 7/10
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistinas666 View Post
Machete- 7/10
Good, eh? My boyfriend's pretty psyched about that one... I'm on the fence.

May

Still one of my favorite indie horror movies ever. Angela Bettis is simply incredibly. And it's so artfully directed. Really can't get sick of this one (though, oddly enough, the boyfriend thinks it doesn't have much rewatchability... I have to disagree though). It's currently on Comcast on Demand for free. Check it out if you have the service.

4.75/5.

Primal

Not bad, but not great, this Aussie low-budget horror film is pretty schizophrenic... The premise is a bit too goofy for the film to take itself as serious as it does... But there are some moments of ironic gore delight - but I found myself confused because it honestly does take itself seriously...

It has really good gore and folly effects. Decent, if not incredibly low-budget direction (including overused shaky cam). It just left me a bit wanting.

At a minimum, it's not your average slasher and it's not your average monster flick - There's a bit of super natural folded in that makes this movie refreshing if not outstanding.

2.75/5.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Misanthrope

May rules. I should really pick up a copy since mine went missing. I've had The Woods sitting on my shelf for ages too I really should throw that in the player sometime.

Forgot about Primal might have to give it a go especially if it's got lots of splatter.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
May rules. I should really pick up a copy since mine went missing. I've had The Woods sitting on my shelf for ages too I really should throw that in the player sometime.

Forgot about Primal might have to give it a go especially if it's got lots of splatter.
The Woods is pretty good - He's so damn good at creating atmosphere.

He also did an episode of Masters of Horror called "Sick Girl" - Bettis was in it as well. It's not great, but it's a good, uncomfortable watch (another weird quirky character pic).

Primal had some decent gore - I think it should have been more over-the-top. It should have pushed itself more. It was odd how serious it took itself. Again - It's not bad, but not really great. Not really worth the $7 we paid for it, but definitely better than average horror fare that's out there - At least it's something slightly different.

What you SHOULD do is watch Evil Aliens. ;)

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Misanthrope

I dug Sick Girl... it made me cringe. Might watch The Woods tonight then. The guy is quite an overlooked director when it comes to modern horror movies. One of the few with a unique style. I need to check out his other flicks too.

I'm getting round to Evil Aliens don't worry :D
Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Cold Prey (2006)

>>: A-