Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Evil Dead

The Crazies

Just finished watching this with the wife and I thought it was really good. I'd seen the original years ago and this stayed pretty true to it.
The acting and effects were better obviously, Romero's budget on the first one was really small, and obviously couldn't have had the effects the new one does.

This movie scared me at parts, and got me thinking as much, if not more, than the first one did about the worth of human life in the face of contamination threatening human kind.

Good movie, IMO. Best I've seen in a while.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Bad Natured

Innocent Blood (1992). Bloody good entertainment this was. This one has it all, sans the stuffiness born of prudence. Beginning with some full frontal nudity, how are we to not like this horror comedy? And there is so much to like, including a wonderful cast peppered with multiple cameos and incredible horror homages. Even some of the myths are flagrantly flouted for fun. The acting was fine for what it was- entertaining. The direction of Landis was stylishly proud of its genre. With lots of blood and beautiful shots of a nocturnal Pittsburgh, the camera's lens settles in nicely. When the ending threatened to be cheesy, it answered with crackers. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Dark Water (2005)
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
DIGITALLY REMASTERED

Just watched The Elephant Man very sad movie, directed by David Lynch and a great input from Freddie Francis.

The most shocking part of this movie, based on a true story.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMICUS HORROR View Post
Just watched The Elephant Man very sad movie,

The most shocking part of this movie, based on a true story.
Years ago I was in London doing a solo walking tour of all the Jack the Ripper murders. There's a store front that used to house a freak show, and The Elephant Man would sit in the window. It's now an Indian Sari shop.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Midnight Toker

Send a message via MSN to iSeymore
Afro Samurai: The complete Murder Sessions
starring Samuel L. Jackson, music by the RZA (Executive producer of the Wu-Tang Clan, cousins are GZA aka Gary Grice and Ol' Dirty Bastard aka Russell Jones [RIP 1968 - 2004], brother is 9th Prince [Killarmy]
great series, animation was fantastic. Watched it with Jenn, my girlfriend & my oldest child-hood friend, Dustin. It was a time [he owns the collection on dvd right now] it's amazing. :cool:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Pirate of Bengal

White of the Eye (1987)

>>: B+

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

>>: B
Old 07-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Bad Natured

Exiled (2006). So stylish was Exiled that the Italians must be jealous, with Sergio Leone buzzing in his grave. A simple story set in Macau, the restrained dialog and general lack of facial expressions cannot diminish the loyalty that these men have towards each other, even when they have been ordered to act otherwise. Between wonderfully orchestrated concerts of claustrophobic bullet symphonies are beautifully drawn out scenes utilizing the mundane aspects of life to help further the bonds of ancient friendships. And all of this, action and drama alike, drawn forth by the devils of fate, where one can either choose his fate or be torn apart through lack of choice. The acting was great for what this was, with the wickedly beautiful Josie Ho acting as the mostly silent, secret force that foments the deadly events to come. Johnny To's direction was phenomenal in his ability to allow things to come together almost by fate. Everything about this film oozes a style reminiscent of John Woo though a step ahead of even this master of action.
derek

Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Eclipse (2009)

A slow moving romantic drama with a very little bit of horror element.

>>: B-
Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Bad Natured

The White Ribbon (2009). Michael Haneke's superb works exist on level not available to Hollywood. He uses subtle visions to evince the sources of historical evil, and as such his works can almost appear as trumped-up dishes of self indulgence. But if caught up in the realm of this crafty direction, his movies are nothing shy of masterpieces. Enter The White Ribbon. In watching this, the viewer is aware that something spectacular is happening in this slow paced and gorgeously shot film, but in flouting cinematic convention it can seem to fall flat. This is not a movie so much as the director's vision as to the framework that was to support the evil of the the first half of the century in question. In doing such, the restrained birth of iniquity in the story can be fully appreciated if not felt. The story was wonderfully woven, and the acting was top notch. A special nod goes to the children, for without their performances this film would not have worked. The direction and camera work needs no special mention, for this is a Haneke flick and all of his genius is employed. One word on the dialog: frank. If looking for a flick that follows directions like a chick reading a map in the passenger seat, then stay away from this flick, otherwise enter cautiously.
derek

Last edited by psycho d; 07-15-2010 at 04:12 AM.