Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Masoch's mistress

All the Alien films- my son has decided he likes them
Antichrist- Ouch it made me squirm big time, very odd but enjoyable x
Old 05-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Bad Natured

Fires on the Plain AKA Nobi (1959). This harrowing Japanese classic jump starts at what should seem to be the lowest point of a soldier's life. That it is the the apex of the film is a hint at the tribulations to come. In fact, this might just be the greatest portrayal of the squalid nature of war. The protagonist of our little flick, by way of some serious method acting, starved himself until he collapsed on set, shutting the production down for two weeks until he got his strength back. All of the actors here were intentionally underfed to create a more than realistic appearance of starvation in the soldier actors. The story is not of your typical type, but instead is more of a snapshot of the downward spiral of the plight of downcast, neglected Japanese soldiers in the Philippines towards the end of WWII. The acting was strong, the direction competent and daring. Both pitiful and awe-inspiring, this is not a flick for tender hearts or those of weak stomachs. Ashe.

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The New Daughter (2009)

>>: B-

Plague Town (2008)

>>: B-
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Evil Dead

Just watched "Dead of Night" that I got from NetFlix. I'm a big fan of the anthologies, but not so much this one, lol, Oh well.

Three stories in this one, It's from 1977 and the stories are directed by Dan Curtis and written by Richard Matheson.
Unfortunately, they stink in the way they are presented.

Story one is "Second Chances" about a car that travels back in time. Thought this could have been better.

Story two is "Bobby" about a boy who died and comes back to life. "Trilogy Of Terror 2" had the same story in it, and executed it more effectively IMO.

Story three is "No Such Thing As A Vampire" and this one seems like it was straight out of an HBO "Tales From The Crypt" episode. Only there wasn't much scare to match the camp, lol.

All in all, 2 out of 5. Just because I love anthologies Generous score, really, Skip this one if it comes up,
Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Inquisitor Generalis

The descent: part 2 Perfect ending!!!

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."
Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
mostly ghostly?

Grey Gardens (1975)

One of the Maysles' great "direct cinema" works. The Beales (especially the strangely enchanting Little Edie) are two of the most fascinating and tragic subjects ever captured by the lens.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
No redeeming qualities

Deathwatch (2002)--7/10

It was a bit predictable. It did seem to lumber along in places. But the gritty trench setting worked well for me. You could almost feet the trench foot setting in.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
For Vendetta

Close to cinematic perfection. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Wolfman (2010)

The unnecessary new plot twist damaged the whole nice build up of the first half. Otherwise it could be a pretty good remake.

>>: B
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Close to cinematic perfection. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Indeed!

Time of the Wolf (2003). The French have that uncanny ability to take ideas that have been done to death and freshen them up my merely making the concept seem painfully real. This one, with its documentary feel, is no exception. The setting is in fact perfect for many a horror flick, but in this the horror is the setting itself. Instead, it is the daily trials and tribulations of survival that make for such a gripping scenario. And the savior here might not be the craftiness of man, but might be found by embracing humanity. The acting was simply wonderful, with stunning performances by by child and adults alike. Supporting actress Beatrice Dalle of Inside fame gives chance to one incredible scene, but the performance by Isabelle Huppert as a woman on the brink of collapse was astounding. The direction by Haneke was sublime. With some wonderfully drawn out shots and removed camera work, every bit of this flick works to support the rest. Not really a fun movie, its stark reality is entertaining though difficult. Merci beaucoup.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.