Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
Yup. They are a pretty big deal over here. They had alot of success for a sitcom they did (Gavin & Stacy). They basically tapped into the 'yoof' culture and milked it for every penny they could. Thankfully the broadcasting companies are handing them plenty of rope to hang themselves with and they are doing there part by churning out utter crap. We got stacks of quality comedy over here that doesn't get a chance because of middle- class sell out crap like Horne & Corden. Horne is probably about the most wooden comedian you'll ever see and Corden is about as smug as one man can get.
That's kinda shocking to me... Horne was so awful. That he was barely in the movie made me think that the Producers reconsidered their casting decision and most of his part ended up on the cutting room floor... I found it bizarre how the movie focused mostly on the Fatman; it's Horne that should be our hero. I figured that they edited him out because he sucked. Turns out they're a comedy duo? Wow. Lame.

Do they feel as much of a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost ripoff on television? Or do that just seem that way in context because of the whole horror comedy thing?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Bad Natured

Army of Darkness (1992). This might just be one of the finest horror comedies ever produced. Never taking itself seriously, that the crew were having a blast making this notoriously funny flick definitely shines through. Bruce Campbell has a face that just oozes wonderful silliness. Never shy of great one-liners, this playful flick is an absolute entertainer for those appreciative of silly horror comedies. The direction and camera work was magnificent, and the effects were in perfect accord with the theme of this movie. Overall, a very nice finish to incredible trilogy. Merci beaucoup.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:48 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Army of Darkness (1992). This might just be one of the finest horror comedies ever produced. Never taking itself seriously, that the crew were having a blast making this notoriously funny flick definitely shines through. Bruce Campbell has a face that just oozes wonderful silliness. Never shy of great one-liners, this playful flick is an absolute entertainer for those appreciative of silly horror comedies. The direction and camera work was magnificent, and the effects were in perfect accord with the theme of this movie. Overall, a very nice finish to incredible trilogy. Merci beaucoup.
derek
I was actually just thinking about this movie after having learned of Elvis' hatred of horror comedy... Elvis: Thoughts on the Evil Dead Trilogy?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
That's kinda shocking to me... Horne was so awful. That he was barely in the movie made me think that the Producers reconsidered their casting decision and most of his part ended up on the cutting room floor... I found it bizarre how the movie focused mostly on the Fatman; it's Horne that should be our hero. I figured that they edited him out because he sucked. Turns out they're a comedy duo? Wow. Lame.

Do they feel as much of a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost ripoff on television? Or do that just seem that way in context because of the whole horror comedy thing?
They have taken the same career path as Pegg and Frost and get compared alot. There's a fat one and a thin, they have both done sitcoms, sketch shows and feature films, but really, the similarities are superficial. For a start, Pegg and Frost are a likeable pairing and have some talent. Horne and Corden really aren't all that funny and don't have all that much talent. They borrowed a little from various successful comedy formats and rebadged it for a younger audiance and had alot of success for the first series of Gavin & Stacey but they have nothing beyond that. Pegg and Frost have years of quality comedy behind them, Pegg was touring with Steve Coogan years ago and both were a success before Shaun. Horne and Corden have had plenty of chances over here and its only been recently that people seem to be realising they are a pair of smug, wooden, unfunny, tossers.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
For a start, Pegg and Frost are a likeable pairing and have some talent. Horne and Corden really aren't all that funny and don't have all that much talent.
LOL - I think that nails it right there. Thanks so much for the insight. It's interesting to see a movie like that so out of context. Thanks for giving me the context. It actually makes me dislike the movie more...

Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
LOL - I think that nails it right there. Thanks so much for the insight. It's interesting to see a movie like that so out of context. Thanks for giving me the context. It actually makes me dislike the movie more...
My work is done then. I hate to think of that going overseas as an example of British comedy.

I thought 3/5 was real generous too. :)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Undead

Bullet........I really liked this film. Mickey Rourke was great as was Ted Levine who played the war crazed brother usually seen in his filthy underwear living with the parents. I have not seen trunks that filthy since captain spalding in the devils rejects. The lester character was awesome.........a must see.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
My work is done then. I hate to think of that going overseas as an example of British comedy.

I thought 3/5 was real generous too. :)
Yeah, well, I think that part of the "higher" rating is that I really REALLY wanted to like it - I mean, LESBIAN VAMPIRE KILLERS - That movie SHOULD have been awesome! I really wanted it to be hilarious and spectacular. It was just trying too hard at times.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
She's under the stairs

Quote:
Yes, but you hate horror comedies... Take that and couple it with a mediocre one, of COURSE you're going to despise it.

Are they "famous" in the UK? I thought that Mathew Horne was flat-out awful...

But Black Sheep was terrible and I saw the trailer for Lesbian Vampire Killers and it made me never want to see the movie. And I love horror comedies but hate bad movies.:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 05-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Elvis: Thoughts on the Evil Dead Trilogy?
Evil Dead 2 is one of my all time favorite horror flicks, amazing blend of humor, scares and splatter. I love the tone and look of the film really dark.

Army of Darkness is all good but a little diluted/family friendly and not as subtle has the first two films. I was a little disappointed at how it looked when it first came out because I loved how cool the medieval scenes looked at the end of ED2. The stop motion stuff is fucking dope and its great comic book styled fun. I've seen it way to many times to really enjoy watching it these days. It's the weakest of the three films but still classic in its own right.

I've grown to dislike horror comedies because of their sameness/unoriginality. Braindead and Army of Darkness were great but they were something different and now they are just used as a blueprint for the horror comedy cookie cutter.

I get pissed at how over here unless its a film in the style of Braindead splatter/horror gets no funding or even a chance to get off the ground. NZ has the potential to put out a great dark horror film but instead these scripts get canned and shit like Black Sheep gets hyped to fuck. Bad Blood and The Lost Tribe meets The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... could be epic stuff. The early Vincent Ward styled stuff would make for some great gothic themed horror films too. Fuck watch Vigil or The Lost Tribe and tell me that Black Sheep wasn't a waste of the landscape. I relise we don't have a very big film industry that can afford to do stuff that risks losing money but a little thinking outside the square could really be beneficial.

I like Shaun of the Dead a lot more than I used to and although it didn't blow me away as much as it did for other people Zombieland was a step in the right direction.

It's a subgenre that I get more harsh on mediocrity with put it that way :)

-----

Kick-Ass

Brilliant. Really clever concept and I loved the dark humor. Haven't read the comics before so I don't know how it holds up in that respect. Up there with Sin City and Watchmen for me.