Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
I just recently finished Richard Laymon's Alarums. It was a good, taut thriller, that kept me reading well into the night, a very quick read. I am starting on Laymon's Night of the Lonesome October, it's starting off very good.
Two Laymon novels I haven't read yet. Good to know about Alarums

Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Two Laymon novels I haven't read yet. Good to know about Alarums
Alarums probably won't wow you but it definitely kept me interested, it was a tragic tale spurred on by greed, jealousy, envy, and lust.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Alarums probably won't wow you but it definitely kept me interested, it was a tragic tale spurred on by greed, jealousy, envy, and lust.
I love his books and have only disliked two of them so im sure i'll like it.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Evil Dead

Summer Knight
By
Jim Butcher
Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Evil Dead

Fiction; I'm just embarking on a re-read of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series, in preparation for his next novel "Dexter's Final Cut".

While the TV series is definitely very enjoyable imo, the novels are infinitely better - darker, more twisted, and completely free of television polish and any need to worry about actors' contracts.

The humour is blacker, the story lines much more outré, tha characters far more interesting. Kudos to Showtime for making a half-decent TV adaptation, but for me the novels are in a different league entirely.

Non-fiction; Just finished reading (for the second time) "By Sword and Fire - Cruelty and Atrocity in Medieval Warfare" by Sean McGlynn. An absorbing and at times uncomfortable read on the general topic of the treatment of non-combatants (including prisoners) in medieval conflicts. Definitely worth finding if you're into history/sociology/human nature and the generally horrific.

Last edited by Sicknero; 08-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Horror Fan For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King.
Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King- awesome! Its not Horror, but just a cool ride into the past. A young teacher befriends a local diner owner who has a secret in the back storage room of his restaurant- a porthole to the year 1958, the two devise a plan to go back in time to kill Lee Harvey Oswald before he assassinates JFK.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Barlow View Post
Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King- awesome! Its not Horror, but just a cool ride into the past. A young teacher befriends a local diner owner who has a secret in the back storage room of his restaurant- a porthole to the year 1958, the two devise a plan to go back in time to kill Lee Harvey Oswald before he assassinates JFK.
An intimidating tome but surprisingly I finished it rather quickly. There were some horror elements in my opinion, but I agree that it's overall a tragic tale.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Hellraiser

I just started on Next by Michael Crichton last week, and so far it's really good. It's not horror, but it's an interesting read.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Horror Fan For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
An intimidating tome but surprisingly I finished it rather quickly. There were some horror elements in my opinion, but I agree that it's overall a tragic tale.
I agree, bittersweet. The SK one I could'nt put down and finished in a weekend was "Cell" if you're a Walking Dead fan- this book is a must read!

Its being made into a movie with John Cusack- http://screenrant.com/cell-movie-ste...-tod-williams/

Last edited by Mr.Barlow; 09-03-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Hellraiser

Cell isn't my favorite by King, but it was a fun read. The opening is intense.