Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2014, 01:51 PM
ventricle

Live Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow
7.5/10

Is this movie "Live, Die, Repeat" or "Edge of Tomorrow"? I have the answer to that. It's definitely, "Live, Die, Repeat", because the film keeps things really, really, really simple. But still a complete and satisfying Action Sci-fi.

--Potential, but not likely, spoilers --------------------------------------
The title, and the DVD box reads, "Live, Die, Repeat", so if you don't know, or don't want to know, what that means, don't read any further. In concept, this is "Groundhog Day" meets "Matrix Reloaded". Just in concept, or setting... because this movie keeps things very simple. Groundhog Day explores a novels-worth of the concept of "repeating a day" until you understand, as an analogy, or setting, for the purpose of life. Live, Die, Repeat explores very little, and has very little to say. It's merely a setting for an action film.

Tom Cruise does an excellent job conveying as much as he can with his face and how he say things. He moves the film up a notch, because lesser actors would have not been able to cover the rather shallow character development of the script dialogue & action.

--Spoilers---------------------------
The creatures reminded me too much of the 'squidies' from the Matrix. Considering the Matrix is so huge, the creatures weren't very creative, and didn't seem to be able convey much of anything about our antagonists beyond they keep their mouths open and roar.

The action and effects are good. I thought it was fairly funny, but could have been much funnier. The more character & plot development, the more emotion, humor and relevance is possible. Simple can be very good, especially when it's stark, personally I wouldn't ascribe that to Live, Die, Repeat. But I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie9 View Post

Not what i was expecting 8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Oh, wow!! A rare high mark from Geordie. Will rent.
That's what I was thinking.
Quote:
haha its worth it.
I'll check it out too.

Last edited by _____V_____; 10-18-2014 at 04:15 AM. Reason: back-to-back posts. Please use the "EDIT"/"QUOTE"/"MULTI" button if posting within 30 minutes.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Evil Sweat

Wolves (2014)
D+
Rated-R but still felt like it's aimed at teens.
The story's predictable, the new werewolf logic is dumb, the transformations are cheap and silly,...
Only thing I liked were the two main actors and the litte bits of blood and gore.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Inner Demons (2014)

>>: C-

Asmodexia (2014)

>>: C

Jinn (2014)

I was eagerly waiting for a decent & interesting JINN movie but strangely it wasn't based on the mythology that we know here. This is a wasted opportunity as they had enough decent budget to make one. Lackluster effort in almost every aspect.

>>: C

Treehouse (2014)

Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Evil Dead

[QUOTE=roshiq;981141]Inner Demons (2014)

I really enjoyed that Inner Demons, low budget well done
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Evil Dead

Maniac

I wasn't expecting much from this movie, and I got what I expected. The film is told from the killer's perspective, as in, the camera is in the first-person perspective. Elijah Wood did an alright job with playing the mentally unstable Frank, but those two aspects were the only good things about the movie. It didn't have a single developed character, which made the kills pretty dull, and the plot is very generic for a slasher film. There was also no tension, which made the movie even more boring. It's pretty much a poor man's Psycho. I definitely don't recommend this.

D

Last edited by horcrux2007; 10-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

^I thought it was a great film and nicely changed the original. The hobbit made a nice alternative to Joe Spinell's sweating hulk of a psycho.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 PM
病気の

Proxy, 2013. 7/10

The Canal, 2014. 8/10

Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:

I really enjoyed that Inner Demons, low budget well done
Yeah..there were few decent jump scares but overall didn't find it much impressive. Probably got tired of such forced found footage/POV flicks of demonic possessions. Moreover, hated that ending, everyone else should have died:danger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I wasn't expecting much from this movie, and I got what I expected. The film is told from the killer's perspective, as in, the camera is in the first-person perspective. Elijah Wood did an alright job with playing the mentally unstable Frank, but those two aspects were the only good things about the movie. It didn't have a single developed character, which made the kills pretty dull, and the plot is very generic for a slasher film. There was also no tension, which made the movie even more boring. It's pretty much a poor man's Psycho. I definitely don't recommend this.

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
^I thought it was a great film and nicely changed the original. The hobbit made a nice alternative to Joe Spinell's sweating hulk of a psycho.
Agree with Ferox. Loved it too, one of the few good remakes made recently. A killer mission by Frodo! I think it was pretty challenging to deliver such a convincing performance through that kind of POV format. The kills & the overall making of this film were pretty good also, IMO.

Extraterrestrial (2014)

Pretty fun & simple sci-fi/alien abduction horror and a fairly entertaining time waster.

>>: B-
Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Evil Dead

'Dracula Untold' (2014)
-Luke Evans

Plot: The story of how Vlad The Impaler became the king Of Vampires

Phantoms Review: Gotta admit, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Less a horror movie , more of a supernatural action movie, but entertaining nonetheless. Good acting, FX , story and action. Not a classic, but fun to watch
Old 10-19-2014, 01:05 AM
Great with a machete

Inner Demons - I thought this was a cool concept, and liked the main actress. The ending was also random and a bit of a surprise.

Extraterrestrial - LOVED this one! I always tend to enjoy alien-themed films, but this was a fun approach to the abduction concept. I thought it was visually impressive, great sets and CGI and the ending was great.

Asmodexia - Though I often enjoy stories about exorcisms and demonic possession, I was a bit disappointed in this one. The ending made it worth the watch.

Tags
movie