Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Filmmaking on a grand scale, acted to perfection and meticulously drawn. The film isn't so much about what age does to our physicality but what time does to our souls, and while the story can be painful, and sometimes heartbreaking to watch, it is a warm picture about the beauty of mortality and the importance of enjoying what we've got when we've got it. It is becoming ever more clear that David Fincher is one of Hollywood's most promising talents, and his pictures seem to mature in both subject matter and craft with every step. This is a movie to get excited about- it's the kind of sweeping epic that places us somewhere else and makes us excited about the movies again.
Weren't you annoyed with the modern day scenes?

I think it would have been infinitely better if they had kept those to a minimum.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

I also watched Bangkok Dangerous over the weekend......but it left such little impact...I almost forgot I watched it.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Raising Cain

I'm in awe of John Lithgow right now...what a great performance!

The movie itself was a bit of a letdown thanks to the writeup on the DVD cover being loaded with spoilers, but Lithgow was more than good enough to make up for it.

Seriously, I can't quite see the point of that...the DVD box ruins pretty near the whole damn plot, save for the final twist. Bullshit. It was still a great movie, but I would have enjoyed it a lot had I not known exactly what to expect :rolleyes:
That sucks about the spoilers dude. I watched it when it came out without knowing anything about it and it blew me away. A lot of people forget what a great villain Lithgow made... he seems to be forever remembered as the guy from 3rd Rock From The Sun.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
That sucks about the spoilers dude. I watched it when it came out without knowing anything about it and it blew me away. A lot of people forget what a great villain Lithgow made... he seems to be forever remembered as the guy from 3rd Rock From The Sun.
great villain fer sure

Blowout....and completely over the top in Cliffhanger.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
The Dork Knight

Quote:

I think it would have been infinitely better if they had kept those to a minimum.

**SPOILER**

They were pretty annoying. Besides the opening and when she found out Benjamin was her dad, I didn't see the need.

**END SPOILER**

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
-Extremely fun and entertaining. Funniest thing I've seen in awhile.

Last edited by AUSTIN316426808; 01-06-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Evil Dead

Lithgow is a good villain, yeah...aside from the two mentioned (never saw raising cain personally), he was also pretty damn good in the Denzel Washington flick "Ricochet"
Old 01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Misanthrope

Oh hellz yeh Ricochet was killer. I really need to check that out again its been years.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Tenant

Quote:

**Spoilers- kind of**

Ehh, I'm not sure. Maybe. I do like how such a strange tale was so cleanly grounded into reality (via Hurricane Katrina). It is touching, too, to know that a new generation was to carry on the tale after everything was said and done, and to see what Benjamin was able to leave behind.

But I was not impressed with the elderly actress who played Daisy; she had some weird Hepbern thing going on and it was hard to understand her.

Last edited by alkytrio666; 01-06-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Evil Dead

Hey, maybe we could put spoilers in white guys, I mean I get that you've all put spoiler warnings and that's appreciated, but sometimes when the page loads you can just find yourself looking at the segment announced or otherwise.
S'up to you, just throwing it out there...

I just watched Phantasm 2, it was pretty good...like the first one, which I've seen for the first time relatively recently, atmosphere it does quite well. I thought this one had more balls than the first, bit more reliant upon splatter factor than the psychological but it didn't hurt it any.
I liked it, and at this point, I'm still considering purchase of the box set if the rest are any good (they were made in the 90's, so I know roughly what to expect...)
I do rather like the character of the tall man, his character is similar to Krueger, well, in that he's another supernatural "villain" badguy, mystical background and all...he exudes the same kind've vibe.

Now, for someone who has seen these films...slight spoiler beneath...
So what was Phantasm 1 then,
Was it a psychic "dream" of some kind, to serve as forewarning of things to come? ...or did reality get changed by the tall man?
Do they do this again?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Cranky

Cube2 and Cube Zero.

Forgettable.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff