Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Even though I count the original among my all-time favourites, I've never really had much desire to see this one. Not sure why - it looks pretty decent and usually I don't pay much attention to public opinion...it just never really caught my eye.

I'll have to give it a rent and see what I think.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to La Chat Noire
I didn't hate it. But I never saw the first one so I had no expectations. Overall it made for a fairly entertaining watch. Storyline and acting were decent, and the atmosphere was creepy, like most people are saying.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
HDC Resident Cynic

I believe that Book of Shadows is based on real life murders......http://lglevene.com/scifi_blairwitch...opstory_1.html
Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Just rented it - I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Nella
I didn't see the first one because it got bad reviews and I don't remember what happened in BW2. I know I watched it but it was a long time ago.

Maybe I will watch them both.

I also enjoyed Pet Semetary 2 and Carrie 2: The Rage.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

I'm with Flayed on this one, I really liked BW2 and I have no idea why people hated it so much. I thought it was better than the first Blair Witch, which you do have to see to understand the second one. I think people had too many expectations for the sequel and wanted to see the witch, but I think not seeing her made it scarier and more intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdojo View Post
I believe that Book of Shadows is based on real life murders......http://lglevene.com/scifi_blairwitch...opstory_1.html
Btw, you know that's a fake article, right?

Last edited by Papillon Noir; 10-23-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Evil Dead

I Thought i was the only one really liked Blair Witch 2
I think was great movie and good twist at end too
Old 08-30-2009, 06:03 AM
HDC Idol

So I actually watched Blair Witch 2 last night, partly because I've always been meaning to in the back of my mind, and mostly because this thread reminded me of my desire to see it.

In all honesty, I was disappointed. I actually thought that the movie started off strong, showing "interviews" and clips from Conan and Leno talking about the Blair Witch phenomenon. I thought that going in the direction of Life After Blair Witch The Movie was a really brilliant idea. I really liked how the people in the town were capitalizing on the movie's success by selling rocks from their yards and giving fake Blair Witch tours and the whatnot. I thought that it was an interesting angle to take it.

Actually, I thought that the plot and characters were all fine (even the contrived "twist" at the end); I just think that there was a huge - HUGE flaw in the direction, editing, and sound choices. While some of you have mentioned that this movie was atmospheric, I felt as though it somehow sucked all of the mood out of any potentially creepy scene that there was. It was baffling to me; it's been a while since I've sat down at a film thinking, "I SHOULD feel this way, but this movie is just not successfully driving me to it."

Example: One of the "scarier" parts should be when the troop started to roll the footage they found from the site. I think that the footing was rolled back and forth so quickly, that there was no sense of dread built up as the audience is watching it played back. This should be a horrifying part of the film, but the dread did not impact me at all.

The acting wasn't that bad, though, and it was interesting to see Jeffrey Donovan (now of Burn Notice fame) portray the young filmmaker. That being said, the characters were definitely more caricatures ("The Witch," "The Goth"), and I think that they were more stereotypes than anything else, which bothered me, but I chose to ignore eventually.

So, honestly, I don't think that it's necessarily its tie to Blair Witch that really disappointed me in this film; if it had been pitched independent of BW, I would have feel the same way; it failed on a mood level and it failed in terms of creating characters that I actually cared about. This one gets a 2.5/5 from me.

It's interesting to hear from people who liked the film, though. Thanks for starting this thread, Flayed. Glad I finally got to see it. And I certainly hope that the original BW directors will be able to get around to another sequel, as they hope to at some point. I don't think that the BW myth is dead yet.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!