Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Bad Natured

The Birth of Satan (2005) by Wray and Mobley. This short book nicely elucidates the biblical origins of that wilely creature that so wonderfully gives fodder for the movies much enjoyed here. Late.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Maverick, the Hellspawn

The Girl Who Played With Fire.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Bad Natured

The First Crusade: A New History (2005) by Thomas Asbridge. Simply a wonderful account of this misunderstood event. The players are appreciated for both their religious and avaricious intents. Where holes in history obscure elucidation, and there are many, the author wisely offers speculations with the caveat that they are as such. Well written on all accounts. Merci beaucoup.
d

Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Undead

Book I am now reading

I am reading Ed Gein. It is a book written by the judge who put Eddie away. It is rather graphic, with many photos, like Bernice Worden hanging in Eddie's summer kitchen. She was beheaded, and dressed out like a deer. That is how the photos are, in the book.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Masoch's mistress

does the Virgin Carribean Travel Brochure count? looking at honeymoons yay :cool:
Feel free peeps to point out that this is an inappropriate post!:D
Oh and also Camille (Through a Glass Darkly) again x
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Bad Natured

Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives (1993) by Allan Bullock. These were two curiously incredible and powerful individuals that were swayed over to the dark side; Stalin through an inferiority complex from not being Russian or an intellectual; Hitler through his hatred of a people he never met. Two cyclopean monsters of history are elucidated side by side in this rather long text.
d

Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Eugh, Jane Eyre. Unfortunately, I have to read this and Wide Sargasso Sea before September for one of my college courses. I'm 110 pages in and still throuroughly bored. It's not my favourite genre and it's quite an effort to read. A lot of characters just come and go. I would actually describe it as the original Forest Gump in that it's just one person's life story as they go through all different stages and meet new people. So far there's no real story arc as such, just a series of events that vaguely link.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives (1993) by Allan Bullock. These were two curiously incredible and powerful individuals that were swayed over to the dark side; Stalin through an inferiority complex from not being Russian or an intellectual; Hitler through his hatred of a people he never met. Two cyclopean monsters of history are elucidated side by side in this rather long text.
d
I read this about 10 years ago. Its a real tome, but Bullock does manage to make it reasonably accessible and quite interesting. I don't think it warrants another read though.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
Eugh, Jane Eyre. Unfortunately, I have to read this and Wide Sargasso Sea before September for one of my college courses. I'm 110 pages in and still throuroughly bored. It's not my favourite genre and it's quite an effort to read. A lot of characters just come and go. I would actually describe it as the original Forest Gump in that it's just one person's life story as they go through all different stages and meet new people. So far there's no real story arc as such, just a series of events that vaguely link.
Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books of all time. I read Wide Sargasso Sea as reccommended to me by a friend-I didn't much care for it and only stuck it through as Its the supposed prequel. Can't you put them both away and read Rebecca instead? x
Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Little Boo

Reading "Dead Eye Dick" by Kurt Vonnegut.
It is an interesting book and his use of words amazes me. Definitely inspires me.