Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Bad Natured

Ikiru (1952). Death sparks the living to live. This might just be the master's greatest film. Sans samurais and any hint of an action figure, our hero, yes he is a hero, in a prosaic bureaucrat that has pretty much amounted to nothing in life, and he is in good company with the rest of his cohorts. But the painful consideration of impending death elicits Watanabe to search for life, though he knows not how to begin the search. Empty clichés of life are frantically attempted, but to no avail. The secret to living eludes our hero. The imagery here was sublime at times, giving credence to Kurosawa and crew for such a magnificent endeavor. Takashi Shimura deserves high mention for his astounding role as our protagonist. The story itself, simple yet told with supreme aplomb. The ending hints of the origins of South Korea's movie making style. In a word this flick was glorious. Merci beaucoup.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Cement

Re-Wind (1988) - another pinku eiga from Hisayasu Sato, the director of ''Lolita Vibrator Torture'' and ''Naked Blood''. It's very climatic and brutal, espacially the explosion of violence in the final scenes left me speechles. Together with cleverly used motive of snuff video showing the murder of the woman it has to be considered as another great Sato's film.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Darah aka Macabre (2009)

A time passing Indonesian gore-fest, worth a watch.

>>: B-
Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Coming Soon (2008)

>>: C
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Hansel & Gretel" (2007) 7/10

Delightfully weird horror movie.

Last edited by Angra; 05-07-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:08 AM
Bad Natured

Evil Dead Trap (1988). Wacky and brutal gore dominates this twisted Japanese offering whose influences are splendidly obvious. There is no lack of insane kills, brutality, and some gratuitous and mean sex thrown in for good measure. This one definitely deserves to be a classic. The story is simple but takes a wicked little twist towards the end. The acting is fine for the occasion, with the doe eyed, perpetually freaked-out lead almost looking like an American with her incessantly popped eyes. The direction was spectacular, with a disturbing sense of art and dementia brilliantly weaved together. The score was wonderfully playful. Merci beaucoup.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

tai chi master
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
No, fuck YOU

"High Kick Girl" 1-2/10

Probably the worst martial arts story i've ever seen.

Story:

A girl is fighting black belts to prove she's the strongest karate girl in the world. Or maybe it's just in Japan, who knows? Who gives a shit. (First 20 minutes)
She gets contacted by someone who wants to test her to see if she's good enough to join a gang of mercenaries. She does the test (lame ass kicking) only to find out the gang is not really interested in her skills as much as to find and get revenge over her karate master. (next 20 minutes)
They find the master, fail to kill him and instead kidnaps the high-kick-girl to lure him into an, obviously, abandonned school building. There he has to fight the entire gang to save the girl. (last 20 minutes)

First thing that came to mind watching this shitfest was... film school project.

Not only was the story bad and the main character a cocky annoying bitch, but the overuse of slow-motion replays was beyond ridiculous.
Now, if this movie had starred Tony Jaa or someone almost as talented i would have loved the slow-motion-replay idea. But this girl and her "master"... geez!
Give me half a year of training and i'll bet i could could kick higher than both of them. In other words, there was NO reason for slow-motion replays in this movie. The action just wasn't that good.
Then again, when you look at the running time (60 minutes) THAT could explain the need of constant slow replays..

Yea, I pretty much hated every minute of it.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Necromancer (2005)

A supernatural Cop thriller from Thailand. It was kinda interesting with good production value & effects at the beginning but the story lacks in some parts and overall disappointing.

>>: C-
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"Hansel & Gretel" (2007) 7/10

Delightfully weird horror movie.
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to see this one - Been waiting for it to become available on Netflix for a while now...

Join my Facebook Horror Group!