Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Cranky

I agree with psycho d about Bloody Reunion- I was left at the end with a "What the heck?" feeling- but the ride made it worth it.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Epitaph

I loved this, the look and the feel of the film is fantastic, though it is a bit confusing. I also wasn't crazy about the use of the Psycho music, which was more distracting than anything.

Last edited by jenna26; 04-16-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Bloody Reunion (2006). While this was a nice change form the typical ghost story, the story itself seemed kinda messy towards the end, with bungled twists and turns. Too bad because the initial build-up and story complexes seemed to portend a wicked ending. The visuals were quite stylish, and the scares were effective if not brutal. That said, i was left thinking "So what in the heck happened?" Worth a watch for sure, and there is certainly a chance that i simply could not keep up, but i still think that things did not add up. Late.
d
My take on it had everything making sense more or less.

Spoilers. The entire story we see in the first place with the caretaker being all sweet, and people dying from gruesome deaths in the basement simply did not happen. The students weren't the flawed people they were portrayed as, just good people who came once a year to visit their former teacher. The character of the shy boy who was made fun of never existed, but was in fact the painful situations that the "caretaker" went through. She made up the story of the shy boy killing everyone to distract the police while she escaped. Basically the teacher made fun of her in school, and was the reason behind her mom getting hit by a car, and she wanted revenge. In stead of getting it by hurting the teacher, she came to town when she knew the reunion was going to happen and poisoned the students that the teacher loved. Then explained what happened to leave the teacher feeling guilt for what she did.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
No redeeming qualities

Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl--One of these days I'll grow out of Japanese gore films, but not today.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 AM
Bad Natured

Gojira (1954). Though not the one that started it all, this atomic skyscraper of a monster is the one to be remembered. Gojira is the walking, screeching hydrogen bomb manifest, a force that denies even mankind's ability to control nature. The story's message could not be more clear, with the seemingly serene scientist that only wants to to study the monster, the crazed public that only wants the monster dead, and the mad scientist whose understanding of human nature underscores the rest. The destruction unleashed by the creature was of course based on history and a cry to never have such a thing repeated, and Gojira does not shy away from the devastating imagery of such destruction. The message, though heavy-handed, is merely based on the realities of humanity, and has at its core merely the want to save mankind. A pretty lofty endeavor to say the least. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuglystick View Post
Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl--One of these days I'll grow out of Japanese gore films, but not today.
Have you seen Tokyo Gore Police? How does it compare?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
No redeeming qualities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Have you seen Tokyo Gore Police? How does it compare?
It's actually lighter in tone than TGP; it has a lot of 50's Beach Blanket Bingo/teen romance vibe to it (if Annette Funicello was run through a meat grinder).
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuglystick View Post
It's actually lighter in tone than TGP; it has a lot of 50's Beach Blanket Bingo/teen romance vibe to it (if Annette Funicello was run through a meat grinder).
Oh God, I have to see this now. Actually I will convince my friend to see it with me using your quote. :D
Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Bad Natured

Tokyo Story (1953). This Japanese classic is just too powerful to be ignored. Tokyo Story is a slow-burning and seemingly boring story of an elderly couple's visit to Tokyo to see their busy children. With pained subtlety and insinuation, this wonderful flick expounds upon the alienation of the elderly with aplomb, and it does so without accusations or villains, but instead a simple truth of a complicated civilization. Nearly 60 years later, this film has not lost it punch. Be ready to stick out the first 30 minutes or so, for it really was a slow buildup that threatens to go nowhere. Once this lovely drama has sucked ya in, you will be blessed by some brilliant performances, incredibly subtle imagery, as well as believably heart wrenching scenes. Merci beaucoup.
d

Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Bad Natured

Perfect Blue (1998). Beginning a little slow and drab, this lovely anime suckers the viewer into the madness that becomes Mima's world. As things move forward, nothing is as it seems, and her existence becomes a jumbled mess of insanity. Any more info would likely ruin the experience, so let's just say that Perfect Blue transmogrifies itself into a brilliant piece of psycho-horror. Ashe.
derek