Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Evil Dead

Yup, went to see Transformers on thursday night.
Greatly impressive effects...although it coulda used a lot more of the whole "chi-koo-ka--ka-ka-ka-ka!" sound...I love it so...
Anyways, it looked great and was actually pretty funny in parts.
The action, well...big robots fighting eachother, and/or chasing humans...I guess it was pretty well done.
It seems that the Transformers and Deceptecons could've used a little more dialogue, especially the deceptecons, which felt a bit hollow.
Of course I went completely stoned, and focused mainly on the visual aspects which were all pleasing - the plot won't win any awards, but it was pretty decent.

**Spoiler + question for those that have/will seen it**
Not sure how I felt about Optimus having a "mouth" though...seemed a bit wrong...
So...do you think that the little guy was meant to be reprasentative of a newer-age version of one of soundwaves "tapes"? I mean, lookit what it turned into at first, and then it DID kind've come out of one of the other ones towards the beggining, no?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:05 AM
Evil Puppy

SPOILER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
**Spoiler + question for those that have/will seen it**
Not sure how I felt about Optimus having a "mouth" though...seemed a bit wrong...
So...do you think that the little guy was meant to be reprasentative of a newer-age version of one of soundwaves "tapes"? I mean, lookit what it turned into at first, and then it DID kind've come out of one of the other ones towards the beggining, no?

I could see that, but there were two of them weren't there? Or three actually... the Nokia got turned into one. I was happy with Optimus, he looked almost just like I remembered him. Bumblebee looked more like Hotshot though. Anyway, the first time I saw that little guy turn into a boombox I laughed and said "Soundwave", don't think my friends got it.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Dead Silence

I didn't like this. I think for anyone to find this film remotely creepy, they'd need to have a phobia of dolls, but since I do not, I just thought it was lame. The acting was fine, the gore was pretty tame with two or three cool scenes mixed in, the story was REALLY stupid. Ending was a step in the right direction, but it was too little , too late.

D
Old 07-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Evil Dead

More Spoiler....

Quote:
I could see that, but there were two of them weren't there? Or three actually...
I know...just like there were more'n one of them in the series, I clearly remember 3 (the good guys had some too...) called Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage...I know that none of them really represented any of those, but, they did come out of one of the bigger ones, no?

I actually didn't mind what they did with bumblebee...he was very much "as was" in spirit. Still the "friendly" one, Still the one with most contact to the humans.
I still didn't like the "mouth" on optimus...or the flames, but otherwise he looked great.
The beauty of it would have to be the transformation effects though...awesome.

Anyone that enjoyed this might want to have a look at the film "The Returner", to see and interesting take on the "transformer" thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Black Snake Moan

A fun and sleazy blues parable that takes a filthy (and almost John Waters-esque) premise and turns it into a redemptive tale of salvation and unconditional love. Not the world's greatest story, but the characterizations are rich, the acting is stylized and cool and the music is brilliant. The R.L. Burniside-style bucket-o-blood blues makes everything feel tawdry. Not for everyone, but my kind of cinema.

7/10

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Crystal Lake Slasher

The Gauntlet. Nice pacy Eastwood film.

- Walter Savage Landor.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Evil Dead

Dead Silence.
Not bad, fairly good atmosphere.
I don't think it was quite as intense a film as the saw franchise, but I suppose they did an alright job of it all the same.
Personally didn't find it terrifying, but I'm sure some would - The whole doll thing. Some looked sinister, far too many of them just looked mongoloid though, and the "main" one, well all I could think about was how much it reminded me of the one from that Goosebumps?
Nice effects.
Interesting twist as per the James Wan style...but hey...let's not go all M NIGHT and do it with every damn thing, eh?
It was at least moderately good, with a storyline that brings about thoughts of nightmare on elm street and skelaton key...pretty obviously inspired from a few different things, but didn't suffer too badly from it.

Overall 6/10
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
The Minus Man ~ interesting look in the mind of a serial killer.....solid performance by Owen Wilson.

Straight into Darkness ~ its depressing and very uneven (too many flashbacks muddle it a bit). Different than what I was expecting. Glad I watched it, not sure I would recommend it though.

Satan's Playground ~ funny in places, but unintentionally so. Not much else going for it.

Satanic ~ Okay, why does it say that Jeffrey Combs is the star when he is barely in it?? UGH. ;) Better than Satan's Playground, but not by much.

The Woods ~ not as good as May in my opinion, but not bad at all. Well shot, and though it borrows a lot from other films, some good ideas. Always good to see Bruce Campbell. :D Actually some pretty decent acting all around here.

Creep ~ Some very effective scenes. Overall, I wasn't really impressed, but it is still fun.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
The Minus Man ~ interesting look in the mind of a serial killer.....solid performance by Owen Wilson.

Straight into Darkness ~ its depressing and very uneven (too many flashbacks muddle it a bit). Different than what I was expecting. Glad I watched it, not sure I would recommend it though.

Satan's Playground ~ funny in places, but unintentionally so. Not much else going for it.

Satanic ~ Okay, why does it say that Jeffrey Combs is the star when he is barely in it?? UGH. ;) Better than Satan's Playground, but not by much.

The Woods ~ not as good as May in my opinion, but not bad at all. Well shot, and though it borrows a lot from other films, some good ideas. Always good to see Bruce Campbell. :D Actually some pretty decent acting all around here.

Creep ~ Some very effective scenes. Overall, I wasn't really impressed, but it is still fun.

Sounds like you had quite a disappointing horror movie night, Jenna.

What a shame..
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Sounds like you had quite a disappointing horror movie night, Jenna.

What a shame..

Ehh, it happens.....a lot....But my disappointment was spread out over a couple of nights, so it was easier to bear....;)