Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-08-2023, 05:06 AM
Evil Dead

Body Snatchers 1993 ★★★

Kicked off my first October Challenge with a flick that has been sitting on my watchlist for a good while now.

To be honest, I have some mixed feelings here. It's a bit of a lackluster remake with none of the paranoia of the previous versions. We also throw in some romance subplot for our bland leads and a whistful monologue, because... teenagers? Heck, even R Lee Ermey comes off less energetic than he usually does and the predictibility of some reveals makes the movie lose steam as well.

That said, as a stand alone movie, it's not so bad. There are some intense sequences. Forest Whitaker and Meg Tilly make the best from what they have to work with and Abel Ferrara does deserve credit for his good direction, showing off his potential. Some scenes totally benefit from that; if there is any tension in them (like the scene that the best friend has turned), it's because of the directing.

And also, if you see what they are up against, it's easy to see a just above average flick as tepid and boring. But this one deserves better.

For fans of Forest Whitaker (which should be anybody who has seen Ghost dog and Last king of Scotland).

New Nightmare 1994 ★★★★

Wes Craven finishes the original ANOES series with a meta take on it. Thus, in a way, (unknowingly) softening people up for what later would become Scream.

As most of you know, in this installment, Freddy is stalking the cast and crew from the original series in their very real lives. Which leads to Craven finding good ways to blur the line between fiction and reality. Like the moments where Heather Langenkamp reads the “script” Wes has been writing or the tie in where her movie husband has the same job as her real life husband.

The kills have also toned down from the cartooniness of the later installments. Both in the case of Chase and Julie, the makers have swapped special effects for intensity and relatable fears like falling asleep behind the wheel. Not to mention the final sequences where Freddy can go all out in his dreamland. Intense stuff with great special effects.

A worthy ending to a classic series. And while you are at it, head on over to Youtube to check out Dylan's New Nightmare, Womp Stomp unofficial “sequel” with Miko Hughes reprising his role here. Good stuff too.

Four stars.

Piranha 1995 ★★★

A pretty faithfull made for tv remake of the Joe Dante classic. With little budget and former love intrests, with the guy playing Tommy Ross and the girlfriend from Chrsitine as the leads. And Mila Kunis in her debut role.

*spoiler alert* If I recall correctly, the original had no suicide, though.

Also, between this and Seven, every scene that sees Leland Orser getting laid somehow ends poorly. What's up with that?
Old 10-08-2023, 05:07 AM
Evil Dead

Piranha 1995 ★★★

A pretty faithfull made for tv remake of the Joe Dante classic. With little budget and former love intrests, with the guy playing Tommy Ross and the girlfriend from Chrsitine as the leads. And Mila Kunis in her debut role.

*spoiler alert* If I recall correctly, the original had no suicide, though.

Also, between this and Seven, every scene that sees Leland Orser getting laid somehow ends poorly. What's up with that?

Garden Tool Massacre 1997 ★★½

A zero budget British slasher about a psychotic serial killer escaping from a mental institution to go a killing spree with some of the titular garden tools.

Because of the budget, some of the images look to be straight from a student video. The acting and delivery are often times pretty questionable, with some of the highlights being one of the most lackluster make out scenes I've seen in a long time (ya dead f**k) and a "dancing style" that has Teddy and Jimbo spinning in their graves.

Nonetheless, I could not help but feel a certain fondness for this movie. Not in the least because it was clearly made by people who genuinely love the genre. Given the circumstances, the kills were still okay and they stuck in some nice nods to both the opening scene from Halloween and the pizza boy from Slumber Party Massacre.

Also, half star for the English kid in the Ajax-shirt.

Urban Legend 1998 ★★★

Pendleton U, where a serial killer stalks the campus, using urban legends as his leitmotif. Not to be harsh, but in my opinion, that's what you get for taking on the Well Manicured Man and appointing him as your dean.

Mind you, he is far from the only recognizable face in this movie. We have blonde frat boy Joshua Jackson (*sigh* Sir... the auditions for the Eminem video are at the end of the hall, thank you very much), Brad Dourif as the gas station operator, Professor Robert Englund (very tasty performance), Goth Danielle Harris, Jared Leto in one of his early roles,...

Together, they make for a decent nineties slasher. A solid opening with a well executed red hering and nice kills make up for the movie's qualities. Together with the okay character writing, it makes up for the predictable killer reveal and motive. All in all an enjoyable watch and Tara Reid as the campus' Doctor Ruth made for a nice touch.

For fans of Scream and I know what you did last summer.

Idle Hands 1999 ★½

A horror comedy about stoners that's neither funny nor scary. The scalping of Dexter Holland was the closest thing to a joke.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:52 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Body Snatchers 1993 ★★★

Kicked off my first October Challenge with a flick that has been sitting on my watchlist for a good while now.

To be honest, I have some mixed feelings here. It's a bit of a lackluster remake with none of the paranoia of the previous versions. We also throw in some romance subplot for our bland leads and a whistful monologue, because... teenagers? Heck, even R Lee Ermey comes off less energetic than he usually does and the predictibility of some reveals makes the movie lose steam as well.

That said, as a stand alone movie, it's not so bad. There are some intense sequences. Forest Whitaker and Meg Tilly make the best from what they have to work with and Abel Ferrara does deserve credit for his good direction, showing off his potential. Some scenes totally benefit from that; if there is any tension in them (like the scene that the best friend has turned), it's because of the directing.

And also, if you see what they are up against, it's easy to see a just above average flick as tepid and boring. But this one deserves better.

For fans of Forest Whitaker (which should be anybody who has seen Ghost dog and Last king of Scotland).
I should check the film out again. I did see it once in the 90's, and to put in plainly, it failed my expectations. Since it was the 3rd reimagining, it's going to have to wade through expectations. I was still entertained.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-12-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:17 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I should check the film out again. I did see it once in the 90's, and to put in plainly, it failed my expectations. Since it was the 3rd reimagining, it's going to have to wade through expectations. I was still entertained.
Same here. Though, odd as it may sound, there should actually be more versions of this one.

The way I see it, (almost) every generation has a group for whom the Body Snatchers can serve as a metaphor. "Whatever ism is getting out of control"
Old 10-15-2023, 03:34 AM
Evil Dead

BULLY (2001)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The director and some of the cast of 1995's KIDS (basically a group of aimless, promiscuous substance abusing Skater boys going about their daily business, with np decent parenting in sight) return in BULLY, which could almost be a continuation of their lives a few years later.

One boy, quickly going nowhere (played by Brad Renfro) has a "friend" who is physically/mentally abusive to him (and indeed, a true asshole although of all the characters in the film, his is the only future that seems promising). The boys meet a couple of girls and after sex, Brad's "girlfriend" decides it would be better for him if his friend was killed.

It's almost comical how badly arranged the murder is and how the group almost immediately folds. Lots of nudity and bad behavior and based on a true event.

Certainly not a cheery little flick, but not bad either. ***
Old 10-19-2023, 11:45 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Same here. Though, odd as it may sound, there should actually be more versions of this one.

The way I see it, (almost) every generation has a group for whom the Body Snatchers can serve as a metaphor. "Whatever ism is getting out of control"
That is very true. When ideology dehumanizes others it's right up this sci-fi alley. Demonizing the other side, like we see today, always brings everybody down... "the bell tolls for thee".

I could see a version exploring the destructive power of dogma not resisted. The current cancel culture certainly echoes the Red Scare and blacklisting of the 50s, only on a wider scale.

I thought Don't Look Up does a great job with that, in that I think it takes aim at the destructive dogma attitude and process rather than specifically "naming names" that would otherwise make it miss the forest for the trees. I think the film does lose focus in wacky ways and should have been edited down, especially the ending, but overall, I thought it was pretty strong. What did you think of it? (if you saw it)_

Old 10-20-2023, 11:44 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I could see a version exploring the destructive power of dogma not resisted. The current cancel culture certainly echoes the Red Scare and blacklisting of the 50s, only on a wider scale.
I remember reading interviews with parents of radicalised youths: one day, they were drinking and smoking weed and what not, and literally a week later, they were devout and growing a beard and so on. That reminded of the Body Snatchers as well.

Fitting for didvided times somehow, that at least two possible groups would come up.

Last edited by Tommy Jarvis; 10-21-2023 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:48 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I thought Don't Look Up does a great job with that, in that I think it takes aim at the destructive dogma attitude and process rather than specifically "naming names" that would otherwise make it miss the forest for the trees. I think the film does lose focus in wacky ways and should have been edited down, especially the ending, but overall, I thought it was pretty strong. What did you think of it? (if you saw it)_
I have seen it - and written a pretty lengthy review

One of the interesting things about this film is the division in opinions and the negative reviews.

Personally, I found it entertaining. It's perhaps not a genuine masterpiece (like Dr Strangelove), but for me, it worked as a a satire.

When it comes to the criticism, there is nuance to be added. For example, take the lack of subtlety: When things are too subtle, they can go over peoples' heads. It reminded me of Doug Walker's sketch where he represented The Matrix as a dumbed down, yet more successfull version of Dark City. Plus, it also fits a time where even country leaders don't seem capable of subtlety (or not as much as they used to be).

You could say that it's a bit all over the place. Then again, that sort of storytelling somehow fits the "interesting times" we are currently living in with a lot going on. Wether it's covid, climate, anti-vaxxers, polarisation,... We are so divided that we cannot even agree on what facts are or wether facts are even worth taking seriously. Which is what DiCaprio pointed out in his enraged monologue, an updated version of Howard Beale in Network.

On some level, we are pretty much involved in one way or the other (or one of the previous topics) and so we are all the butt of the joke at one point.

The people paid to review the film are represented by Tyler Perry, of all people (surprisingly well as the superficial TV host). Or the moments when the makers poke fun at on line comments being completely beside the point, stupid and/or petty.

Or take the politicians. Having read op-ed pieces in my neck of the woods on the farce of politics, where people don't even listen to each other, I can sort of relate to Jennifer Lawrence's line on how they're "not smart enough to be this evil". Or how they are too obsessed with polls and elections to excute a genuine policy.

I'm not sure where they wanted to go with Isherwell. Is he supposed to be a charicature of Bezos and Zuckerberg? Or is he supposed to be some sort of cult leader? Or how some brands look like half cults? On that note, I thought the legal disclaimer on the info line's add was a nice touch. It represents the kind of cynicism that some companies are capable of these days.

In a way, I liked how the main characters were flawed, with Kate losing her shit when confronted with the backlash and the unwillingness. Or Randall as a scientist so obsessed with his work that he becomes socially awkward/handicapped and does not know how to handle attention from other women. There was something sweet to the ending and how they all gathered for dinner. Though I understand how you would need a big spoon of suspension of disbelief to skip past the quick forgiveness of the infedilty.

So was it them and a case of a story not well told? Or is it us and have we become too jaded? Have not quite worked that out yet.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:55 PM
Evil Dead

Ginger Snaps 2000 ★★★★

Around the time of her first period, a girl gets attacked by a werewolf or werewolf like creature, after which she starts changing, slowly turning into one. Would it to be too easy to describe this one as Goth Carrie? Let me know what you think in the comments.

I really enjoyed this one, a lot more than I did Idle Hands. For one thing, it's a very good body horror because the horror in the movie works as a metaphor for the real life fears and physical changes of the main characters. Making for an entertaining flick in the process and thus relatable for a large part of the audience. And who knows? It might even make some of the boys/men a tad more empathetic towards women on their period.

It also explores the complex nature of the relationship between B and Ginger, with the dynamic shifting throughout the film. With B going from following Ginger to being baffled and/or shocked at her sexual liberation to her standing up to Ginger at the end. Making for the logical ending with the confrontation between the two sisters. And making for an (un)intended pun in the title (Ginger snaps, get it?). Then the corn syrup bit – which HAD to have been a nod to Scream – was funnier.

Credit to the two leads. While most of the other characters leaned towards generic small town, both Emily Perkins and Katharine Isabelle had their respective characters and their arcs down. Katharine Isabelle went on to have a storied horror career with roles in Freddy vs Jason and American Mary. Making it a pity that Emily Perkins did not get more roles after this one. Maybe it has something to do with her personal choices as well. No idea on that one and I will not speculate either.

Four stars. Overlooked gem that needs more love.

The Devil’s Backbone 2001 ★★★★½

I loved this one.

It works on several levels. First of all, there is the threat of war which, if we are honest, is sadly always around and currently looms over us as well, yet again. On the nose symbolised by the bomb in the yard of the orphanage. Filled with children who have lost their parents in a war they had nothing to do with.

In another way, this tone of this story is quite reminiscent of fairy tales. Or at least it is to me. With “he who sighs” as the victim and the purpetrator who gets his cumuppance at the end when his greed becomes his undoing. This is all revaled in a cleverly built up story about comraderie with some scary moments like when Carlos is first chased by “he who sighs”. With a few powerful images to boot and a touching death scene.

Great film. If you have not seen it: check it out.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:56 PM
Evil Dead

May 2002 ★★★★★

Talk about an underrated gem.

I don't know what's more disturbing about this one.

The way the characters speak in the first act. Is this real or is May living out a Arthur Fleck-like delusion?

The opening shot has you set up for a gorefest while, in fact, it turns into a very sad story about a lonely soul desperately trying to connect with someone who loves her for who she is. It's not until the end of the second or the start of the third act that May really goes off the rails. More specifically when the punk guy with the Everlong-hairdo is killed.

The fact that you see May descend into madness, until and beyond the point of “okay, yeah, she's a psycho”... but part of you still feels sorry for her. That part still wants to give her a hug. Which, I think, is best shown is best shown in the final scene. She wants a friend so badly that she's willing to even mutilate herself in order to get one.

Angela Bettis delivers a career making performance here, making May look both like a super sweet, well meaning girl while at the same time harboring a vulcano under the surface, ready to explode. I'm sure part of the credit also goes to Lucky Mckee for directing his actors so well. Even Anna Faris adds an extra layer to the type of ditsy character she so often played.

Last but not least, the fact that there are (more than) a few of us who can relate to May and her desperation in ways we cannot explain or put under words.

Five star classic. The saddest horror since Carrie.

House of 1000 Corpses 2003 ★★

Rob Zombie has neat visual ideas and I respect his vision.

His style will just not be mine.

Dumplings 2004 ★★½

This is a slow burn. We take a long time setting up why Mrs. Li looked out the shady lady who provided her with the titular dumplings. And how they provide her with eternal youth.

As an idea, it's pretty captivating. It just did not do all that much for me. It's not that it was bad, or that the the actors were bad. It just did not captivate me as much as I thought it would.

Maybe it's a case of the book being better than the movie. Maybe I will look at it differently on a future rewatch.

We'll see.

Tags
movie