Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-26-2021, 08:21 AM
病気の

Dead End, 2003. 7/10

Directors: Jean-Baptiste Andrea, Fabrice Canepa

Old 12-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
Wolf, 2021. 7.5/10

Director: Nathalie Biancheri

Thumb resize.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, 2021. 5/10

Director: Johannes Roberts

Thumb resize.
Is wolf horror?
Old 12-26-2021, 02:43 PM
病気の

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Is wolf horror?
No, Arthouse.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:14 AM
Evil Dead

Christmas Day equals movie marathon day. I gues BHC technically belongs in the 80s section, but I'll put it here just to go with the flow.

On the menu:

American History X

I remember seeing this film a long time ago - not sure wether it was in a cinema - but I had forgotten how it jumped right into things. While you would expect this kind of film to have a bit of a slow build, this one was already revealing a large part of a key scene.

This film has qualities, but subtlety is not one of them. It really hammers it's message of love, redemption and tolerance. So they did that by pushing the envelop and showing hatred at it's ugliest, accompanied by the language that comes with it. After all, it's hard to have redemption without a sin. And in this film's logic: the bigger the sin, the bigger the redemption.

That said, there are a few things to be said about the film as well. The overheavy score, who laid it on pretty thick. Has to make it really, really clear what you should be thinking or feeling, because heaven forbid you are not capable of working that out on your own.

Or the (cliché) key scenes:
- the dramatic run with the dito kill and horrified, powerless scream (in a strange way reminiscent of the ending of Boyz in the hood)
- the change of heart in prison
- the big confrontation with the former allies
- Danny's death and his monologue that goes with it. Oh no, he had JUST seen the error of his bla bla and was ready to really yadda yadda yadda. You know what, why don't you fill in the blanks? Because we all know just how this song and dance goes.

Does that mean it's all bad and it deserved the shit it got over the years?

Not really.

It's still worth a watch, even if only for Edward Norton's performance. He shows what he can do as Derek and earned one of his three Oscar nods and you can claim that it was deserved. Fairuza Balk delivered a good performance as the girlfriend, delivering a convincing portrayal of how some people can turn on loved ones when they change all too sudden and all to drastically. The more drastic the change, the more furious the response. And after mostly knowing him from the View Askew universe, it was kind of odd seeing Ethan Suplee as the hardcore neoazi. He sure was not looking for sailboats here.

Does this film have it's place in cinema history? Yes. Is it as prominent as the makers had hoped? Probably not.

The 5th Wave

The 5th wave delivered what it promised. Spectacular action, but nothing memorable. Pretty much what you can expect from your average dystopian "we are all going to die/they're coming to kill us"-sci fi scene.

Beverly Hills Cop*

Ah, Beverly Hills Cop. That era when police vehicles seemed to be used more often as bumper cars than anything else and them doing pile-ups were de rigeur in films.

Eddie Murphy at his best with the brilliant laugh and the hilarious banana in the tailpipe-gag. Or the banter with Bronson Pinchot. The combination of which resulting in the type of action comedy that still holds up to this date.

Also: Would it be safe to say that there is a bit of Nick Frost in Judge Reinhold?

Four stars.

Death Wish 2018

A forgettable remake that adds little or nothing to the original. Paul Kersey is now a doctor instead of an architect, he has a video go viral and a few kills are a bit gorier, because Eli Roth.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day*

The only single critical thing you can say about this one is that made the next ones - the diminishing returns, if you will - possible. As long as it makes money, they will beat this dead horse until Arnold dies.

Other than that, this is perfect entertainment.

First, there is a good and well told story. It keeps you on the edge of your seat with amongst others an incredible face turn, even though it only works the first time.

Then there are the practical effects which still hold up to this date. Heck, they even look better than a lot of productions that came later. No surprise that it won Stan Winston and his team an Oscar. Or the bit of trivia that Adam Jones was on the film's make-up team.

It makes the action all the more captivating. The main example of course being the infamous truck chase. Or when the evil Terminator stabs Xander Berkeley's character.

A classic that will still stand 20 years from now.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Just hated the monster. Horrible what they tried there.
Not sure what they were going for. Were they trying to make us sympathize with the monster? Because that was not really working.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:23 AM
Living Dead

.æ.læ
The Nerd: Well, there's no game here. What happened? Did the programmers pass out, or did they just figure nobody would check all 52 games? Well, that's $4 wasted. But I guess I can't say I'm really too excited over playing a game called Alfredo, also known as Alfred N the Fettuc.

Last edited by Amaltheaunicorn; 12-29-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:50 PM
Undead

Censor: kept seeing people talking about how good this was. I thought it was ok. 6/10 for me
Old 12-28-2021, 03:46 PM
This is a test

WHO WAS PHONE 2020

A comedy/horror about a young girl who's friends are getting killed off, one by one. Im sure most would consider it crap but i found it endearing and funny.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:44 PM
Undead

The great and terrible day of the lord: I 100% expected to turn this off after 30 minutes, but I gave it a shot. Instead of turning it off at 30 mins, I was hooked. Now don’t let that get you amped up and have high expectations going in, I already see that some people hated this but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Strong 7/10 for me.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:11 PM
Immortal horror fan

Matrix Resurrections -

The resurrection scene is a bit horror.

Tags
movie