Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-17-2021, 05:04 PM
No, fuck YOU

Free Guy 7/10

Not as good as The Truman Show but much better than Pixels.

Best watched with your brain left at the door.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Free Guy 7/10

Not as good as The Truman Show but much better than Pixels.

Best watched with your brain left at the door.
So this film was no problem for you? = p

Old 08-18-2021, 11:16 PM
Evil Dead

Jason Rising, once again proof that fan fiction is what keeps this franchise alive throughout crappy remakes, crossovers and the bickering between the creators.

The idea of the headless mother is a bit wonky at first, but if you keep the other silliness in the franchise in mind, you get over that pretty quickly.

The film has many qualities. It ventures into the relationship between Jason and his mother, building on the shrine from part 2. It sets up the characters and their motivations and the way they evolve throughout this relatively well and the kills are pretty damn good. They have the creativeness of the original series and get to be more graphic. The upside to the MPAA not breathing down your neck.

And the kicker of course the cameo by Adrienne King. Knowing her history, especially between parts one and two, it makes you wonder how this came about and how she agreed to return to the series. Guess bygones are bygones?

Anyway, a good watch and well worth your time.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:44 AM
Evil Dead

THE LODGE (2020)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A Widowed Father takes his still grieving Children and his Fiancee to his Lodge (Think it's supposed to be the Berkshires in Western Mass), is called back into work, leaving the three - who have a somewhat dicey relationship- alone with a big winter storm moving in. Things begin to get odd.......

Potential is evident, a good sense of unease and an almost SHINING-esque atmosphere in parts. In hindsight, some parts of the story don't work. Although the Dad is an asshole, don't think He would be enough of one to plan nuptials so soon after the Children's mother dies, especially with Fiancee history. And it seems pat and unlikely that the two kids could make such an elaborate plan, seemingly off the cuff, much less have it work so well.

Not bad, but could have been much better. **1/2
Old 08-21-2021, 04:11 AM
Evil Dead

Megan Is Missing

Being lazy here, I just copy paste my review from Letterboxd.

Turns out that I am clearly in the minority there for liking this flick. Lol.

Wether or not you should take this as a life lesson (or a PSA), is irrelevant to me. Storytellingwise, I thought it was well done.

Amy as the girl with the heart of gold, whose rebellious side comes in hanging on to Billy Bear. Which finally becomes her undoing.

Megan as the girl with the traumatic past, rough around the edges, but a layer of kindness underneath all that.

"Josh" first sweettalking Megan and then revealing his character to Amy.

The film follows the three act mode. The first part (including the party scene) sets up the characters and the mischief they can get themselves into. Which, again, is not too badly done. You may hate some of the stuff that you see and that's fine, but the idea of an abused girl ending up with an abusive boyfriend is not that far fetched. If you think about it, up until then, Megan Is Missing could easily go in the same category as Kids.

The second part (until Megan's disappearance), sets up the girls and their friendship. How, behind all the tough talk and high jinks, they are still children, naive enough to be lured in by this "Josh" character.

Then, after Megan disappears, the movie gets scary and that's what stuck with me. The tone shift in Josh during his conversation with Amy is not surprising. But then it goes south fast. The shot of Josh behind Amy as she is holding on to her teddy is scary as hell, as well as the shot of Amy getting captured. And the 22 last minutes are very disturbing, culminating in a shocking rape scene where everything is done to make sure it's as hurtful and traumatizing as you can imagine.

I am piggybacking a bit on the burial scene. One moment, it drags on and you want things to move along (ok, ok, we get it), the other you tend to think that it's supposed to drag in order to emphasize how Amy pleads for her life and how Josh remains callous to her pleas. Which reminds me of Creep and the shot of all the tapes at the end. Megan Is Missing does not need that. His methodicalness and his callousness to Amy is enough proof of how this is not the first time for him and probably not the last.

Did it live up to the expectations? Yes, because it was scary. Was it good? Interesting and intriguing are better words. Would I recommend this to anyone and if so, who? Not many people, that's for sure. It's budget, themes and ending relegate it to cult status. Only for experienced horror fans and general weirdoes.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:30 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Jason Rising, once again proof that fan fiction is what keeps this franchise alive throughout crappy remakes, crossovers and the bickering between the creators.

The idea of the headless mother is a bit wonky at first, but if you keep the other silliness in the franchise in mind, you get over that pretty quickly.

The film has many qualities. It ventures into the relationship between Jason and his mother, building on the shrine from part 2. It sets up the characters and their motivations and the way they evolve throughout this relatively well and the kills are pretty damn good. They have the creativeness of the original series and get to be more graphic. The upside to the MPAA not breathing down your neck.

And the kicker of course the cameo by Adrienne King. Knowing her history, especially between parts one and two, it makes you wonder how this came about and how she agreed to return to the series. Guess bygones are bygones?

Anyway, a good watch and well worth your time.
Is this a free film like those other recent ones? Post it here if so.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:40 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Is this a free film like those other recent ones? Post it here if so.
Done and done.

And for dessert.

Last edited by Tommy Jarvis; 08-23-2021 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:55 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Done and done.

And for dessert.

Saved. Thanks I'll watch it for the October month. I thought it would be short but it's like a hour. Hopefully it's better than those other two. Third time should be the charm.

Every time these shorts come out I get happy about my Ultimate version though.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:43 PM
病気の

The Girl Who Got Away, 2021. 7/10

Director: Michael Morrissey

Thumb resize.

Demonic, 2021. 6/10

Director: Neill Blomkamp

Thumb resize.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:44 PM
病気の

Mosquito State, 2021. 7.5/10

Director: Filip Jan Rymsza