Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Indie Horror Movies and Short Films
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Little Boo

Short Horror from Ireland

Hi Folks,

My first post here (hopefully the first of many). I've just finished my new horror film and it's ready for viewing. I managed to make it for about €150 / $200 which was pretty cool. I had no crew, just myself and the actor(s).

I'd really appreciate if you could watch it and maybe give me some feedback.

Happy Christmas!!

Hugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHK...eature=mh_lolz
Old 12-26-2013, 05:24 PM
The Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughSweeney View Post
Hi Folks,

My first post here (hopefully the first of many). I've just finished my new horror film and it's ready for viewing. I managed to make it for about €150 / $200 which was pretty cool. I had no crew, just myself and the actor(s).

I'd really appreciate if you could watch it and maybe give me some feedback.

Happy Christmas!!

Hugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIHK...eature=mh_lolz
Well since you asked so nicely I'll give you a proper critique. I really liked a lot of this short. It was shot well, lit well and had great audio. It mostly worked well too. The main problem I see is that in this sorta film less is more. It was effectively creepy and unnerving until the voice started saying more then little things. Hello a few times and I've found you would have closed the deal nicely. Also the big reveal at the end took all fear of the unknown out of it completely. I feel that you are very capable and could have made a properly scarring ending. However aside from the story direction being ham handed the overall production is great. Understand that I'm just giving you advice because I deem your production worthwhile enough to care. No offense is intended by my opinion.

www.youtube.com/thedeadarewatching
Old 12-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Little Boo

Thanks for the crit. I guess as a film-maker there's certain things one wants to try out. Sometimes less is more but if you get a good shot you want to use it! the last scene although a bit crud helped wrap the film up. To be honest this film was just casually done. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
The Jackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughSweeney View Post
Thanks for the crit. I guess as a film-maker there's certain things one wants to try out. Sometimes less is more but if you get a good shot you want to use it! the last scene although a bit crud helped wrap the film up. To be honest this film was just casually done. Thanks again.
Its funny. I've worked with many amateur film-makers and they all think the same as you. I guess those ideals have no national boundaries. Its just weird how film-makers, even potentially talented ones, will abruptly put a crude ending to a film just to finish it then try to play their effort off as casual. Maybe its just me, but I'd only put stuff out that I'm honestly proud of with real reasons to defend my choices. Eh, but your not me so do as you please.

www.youtube.com/thedeadarewatching
Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Little Boo

fair enough with your point on me passing it off as 'casual' but I am very proud of it. No crew, just me!! not easy by the way. I probably could have finished it more sublimely but I did want that reveal and the blow to the head. The lighting in that scene was very basic and I could have improved on that. I deliberately kept the intruder out of focus to try and maintain a bit of creepyness. I guess I'll know next time, thanks for your feedback.

Tags
irish horror