Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
For Vendetta

Poke on Facebook at your own risk!

In what is thought to be a one of its kind case, an American woman was taken to court for merely poking another user through her Facebook account.

If you're new to social networking or Facebook for that matter, a poke is a mere "nudge" that you can harmlessly send to another person in your Facebook. What made the difference with this fatal poke was the fact that it happened to constitute a breach of a protection order. Apparently, the woman was barred from from contacting "or otherwise communicating with" the person whom she poked.

So, Shannon Jackson, all of 36 years now finds herself in a legal mess and could also face a $2,500 fine should she be found guilty of violating the protection order.

While we're all against online harrassment in any form, jailing a person for mere poke sounds like taking things too seriously. Should it have been something more substantial, like sending a threatening message, the arrest would have been fair. A poke, is one of the most basic things you could do on Facebook.

The police are now verifyng the evidence (which, in this case happens to be the screenshots of the poke notification on the "victim"'s Facebook page), to file charges against the perpetrator who could get a one year jail term, apart from the fine.

Police deemed that 36-year-old Shannon Jackson violated a protection order – similar to a restraining order – by using the site's feature to attract the attention of another user.

The order previously obtained by the woman who received the poke banned Jackson from "telephoning, contacting or otherwise communicating with the petitioner".

Jackson, who lives in Hendersonville, faces up to a year in prison and fine of $2,500 if she is found guilty of breaching the protection order. She is due to appear in court later this month.

Although the poking angle may be unique, this is not the first time that Facebook communication has led to an arrest. Earlier this month a burglar in Italy was held after logging on to Facebook while carrying out a break-in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...book-user.html
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Heaven for the climate

And just when I was seriously thinking about NOT killing everyone on earth.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 AM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
If i had a protection order that included the barring of all contact or communication with me, I would totally sue over a facebook poke.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Cranky

I agree- it could be a form of harrassment. Just a little reminder- I'm out there, and I'm thinking about YOU...

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff