Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Fear scented candle

Need a little help

Howdy folks!

I know its been ages; I have been working myself ragged and writing when I'm not working, so I've been busy, to put it mildly.

As I bragged about the last time I was here, I managed to sell some articles to cracked.com, and have been doing pretty well by it (as of yesterday I have made $250 for writing 5 articles).

I have a problem though, one of my articles is about cookbooks, and a few of them are missing some details, which at this point means that the article will never be published (although I have been paid for it). I have been brainstorming ways to get the info I need, then it occurred to me, I know a bunch of people who would be somewhat likely to own scary-ass cookbooks. So I am here to enlist the help of anyone who would be interested and has the means to help.

These are the books in question:
Cooking with a Serial Killer. Recipes From Dorothea Puente
The Dracula Cookbook of Blood
Brains and Brawn… Trotters and Tripe

In the article, for every book I include a review, usually from someone who sounds like a sociopath (actual reviews, not ones I've made up), and a sample recipe, usually something horrifying (like Silkworm Chrysalis Raw Cinnamon Cookies, that's from number 2 on the list).

Sadly, I am lacking recipes from the first two on the list, and a review for the last. I am not suggesting that anyone rush out and order these things (but if you do, PLEASE get me recipes and/or a review), but if you already have them, I could use a hand. For the one missing a review... this is for cracked so understand the review will not necessarily be cast in the best light, so use a pseudonym.

I thank anyone who helps in advance, and if all else fails, how the hell are you people doing? I figured since I haven't been here in a while I would just say hello and

not

Pimp ... any... th...

Who am I kidding?

This is my second published article for cracked, it ran last monday and was the most popular first run article ever. It has over a million views in just a week, and last monday when it ran was the single most profitable day in the history of cracked, which started (yes the magazine) back in 1958. Yes, I was very pleased.
http://www.cracked.com/article_17476...e-physics.html
Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Fucking awesome article. That frozen smoke blew my miiind.

I wish I owned those crazy cookbooks though so I could help out. Have you tried... ermm... torrenting them?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Cranky

The guys walking on the liquid reminded me of cornstarch & water. Anyone ever played with that? Let it sit for a second and it turns solid- pick it up and it turns liquid.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
That's cause that's what it was ;)

I love playing with cornstarch and water. I've been tempted to make a recycling box full so i could jump in it.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 AM
whatever gets you through

great job vod - sadly i have no cookbooks (let alone cool one's)

keep up the great writing!!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Fear scented candle

Thanks guys. I don't know why that particular article did as well as it idid, but I am, not about to argue with fate ;)

I have pretty much accepted that the cookbook article will never get run, which sucks because there was some good stuff in it. But, I have 2 more that will (one is tentatively slated for sunday) so we'll see.

So, what has everyone else been up to?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

Yo Vod....how's the wife and daughter?

nice to see you around these parts.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Yo Vod....how's the wife and daughter?

nice to see you around these parts.
Not bad. I work in Boston now so I am not home as often as I used to be, but Bree is hotter than ever and Lily is still brilliant :)
Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 AM
That fucking Guy...

What specifically are you after?
Offal? Insect?
I've got 400-ish cookbooks of different descriptions here at home between myself and the chick, might be able to assist (a bit) but the problem is with a lot of these more "exotic" (or exotic by boring western description) items are done locally/rurally and haven't been published all that much.

I don't really have any gimmick-y cookbooks to speak of that might group recipes like these...

Anyways, let me know in 10 words what you're after, and I'll see if I can help.

- B.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
What specifically are you after?
Offal? Insect?
I've got 400-ish cookbooks of different descriptions here at home between myself and the chick, might be able to assist (a bit) but the problem is with a lot of these more "exotic" (or exotic by boring western description) items are done locally/rurally and haven't been published all that much.

I don't really have any gimmick-y cookbooks to speak of that might group recipes like these...

Anyways, let me know in 10 words what you're after, and I'll see if I can help.

- B.
That would be awesome. If by chance any of them are really weird (you have a good grasp of western culture, so you know what I mean) , and happen to be available through amazon or lulu.com or any other book site (that allows reviews), I could use the title, one really messed up recipe, and a review. Like I mentioned, this is for cracked.com, so the review won't necessarily be presented in the best light, although it won't necessarily be shown in a bad light or directly made fun of.

Some of the ones I have done so far, I let the review speak for the book, others, the reviewer clearly has some mental issues and that is mentioned.

If you happen to have any of the 3 mentioned up above, that would be incredible.

I know that was way more than ten words, but feel free to only read the 10 you want .:cool: