View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 05:30 AM
Evil Dead

Prey for the Bride 2024 ★★˝

Okay little slasher, but with a kind of predictable plot and killer reveal. Not so spoil but (if you know, you know) it contains a spoon of corn syrup

The kills are okay. Basically your standard stabbings and one to keep you eye on. Downside: the most bitchy character gets the most disappointing kill.

The Breed 2006 ★★

A house on fire explodes and Michelle Rodriguez comes out completely unscathed, because there's no bollocks like B-movie bollocks.

While the idea in itself has some good moments – granted, I was afraid of dogs as a child and recently watched Cujo again, so it's not all that hard for me to find violent dogs frightening – and in more competent hands, it could be better. Some of the chase scenes are well done, and Michelle Rodriguez is great in the scene with the cable line and the garage. Then again, other moments cannot help but look silly: the dogs on the wing of the plane, some of the dialogue (especially Dollar Store Paul Rudd and his “big brain responsible” brother), the ending,...

Not even Brad Pitt's boxer from Snatch would like these dags.

Black Mirror: USS Callister 2017 ★★★˝

BM: We are taking Star Trek...
Me: Oh, a wholesome story about nerd escapism?
BM: And we will turn Kirk into a colossal sociopathic twat.
Me: There we go. That's the BM I know.

This was however written by a fan – I think – and the finale was more exciting than some of the original Star Trek episodes. Also good at showing the pettiness of dictators. Nonetheless, by Black Mirror standards a pretty staightforward and lighthearted affair. Which does not make it any less well written and made, mind you.