View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Evil Dead

The Nun 2018 ★★★˝

Glad I finally got around to this one.

While the story – a secret entity that needs to be contained – is not very original, The Nun does manage to come with good moodsetting and some great visuals like the turning and burning cross at the burning cross.

Jonas Bloquet is good as Frenchie, floating back and forth between charming and flirty. Why they made him French Canadian is unknown to me. Taissa Farmiga delivers a well dosed performance. She does not take over the screen as in “here I am”, since her character is not written that way. But when necessary, she does command your attention.

Good stuff overall. Pretty entertaining with some good moments. Makes me want to watch The Conjuring 2.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba -To the Hashira Training- 2024 ★★★

I wonder what the anime definition of overacting is. When do they say “this was a tad too much”? With all the screaming and crying and giggling.

My impressions as someone not too familiar with the genre:
1) it's better to catch up before dropping in in an ongoing series. Sometimes, I had a bit of hard time following and sometimes, I had no idea what was going on.
2) The fight scenes are still filmed within an inch of their lives, feeding into my nostalgia for the time when I watched Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya on TV.
3) The comedy works and that plays in this movie's favour as well.

4) A fun watch inviting to start this series some time.