View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 11:59 AM
Evil Dead

Black Mirror: Men Against Fire 2016 ★★★

BM do their take on District 9. With a bit of Holocaust like mood thrown in and a few games with a bit of a video game like feel to it.

A young soldier finds out that roaches that they are chasing are, in fact, people. And by the time the psychologist-like characters, played excellently by Michael Kelly, gets to him, he's already too far away in order to really get back.

Solid story. Solid cast. Solid across the board.

Triangle 2009 ★★★★½

I must agree with some of my friends here. At the end, this demands a rewatch.

This is an awesome psychological horror that relies on atmosphere and tension and even more so on the full-circleness of it all. Hardly any scene goes to waste here and the cherry on top is that you only realise that at the end.

Melissa George is simply amazing as Jess. You completely buy into her character and her plight.

Four and a half stars. Well recommended.

Audition 1999 ★★★★★

On a rewatch, I was mostly struck by the excellent build up. All the red flags that popped up throughout the film. Though some of it could attributed to hindsight as well.

Still... a five star classic of Asian horror. With a torture scene that will you squirm in your seat. And the glee in Ashami's eyes while at work just adds an extra layer.

Bob Marley: One Love 2024 ★★★½

For some reason, I came into this one thinking it would be a documentary. It turned out to be a biopic, with the flaws that come with the genre. You could tell that the family was involved in the production process. In any case, we get a lot of Bob's music and that's always a plus.

It also made me realize how little I know about the person Bob Marley. How I mostly look at him the way a lot of Europeans do. In the first place as a music icon with legendary songs. So I cannot exactly pinpoint a specific scene and say “this and this is inaccurate”.

That said, throughout the movie, Marley nearly always looked just a little bit “too good to be true”. For most of the film, he seems careless and happy go lucky to a point where you as a viewer get somewhat sceptical, while his darker sides (like the infidelity) are mostly glossed over. Or perhaps even forgotten.

What they do right, though, is make Bob look good. I'm not talking image wise, but cinematically. They use all the tricks in the book to make Kingsley Ben-Adir look as charismatic as the real Bob Marley was. That way, thee movie gives an insight into his god like status in Jamaica and other parts of the world.

Three stars for an entertaining film and a half star for Marley's music. If you can look past the flaws of the standard biopic, this is a solid piece of cinema. If you can't, I'm sure there are documentaries that more accurately depict Marley's life.