View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 01:52 AM
Evil Dead

V/H/S/2 2013 ★★★★

Still holds up on a rewatch, even with the alien abduction segment losing a bit of steam.

The Usual Suspects 1995 ★★★★˝

Still holds up as an amazing and very entertaining crime drama, even though the impression of the first watching can probably never be met. Largely due to the performances by Benicio Del Toro and Gabriel Byrne. Also a good idea to bring in classy actors like Pete Posthletwaite.

And yes, Kevin Spacey. Say what you will, but if you watch this without all the baggage you would go in with today, you would be blown away as well.

That does not mean that I'm oblivious. In fact, the irony about Kevin Spacey and his current situation is that the things that makes his best performances stand out (manipulation, calm menace,...) are the things that will make a possible comeback more difficult.

The Taking of Deborah Logan 2014 ★★★★˝

A pretty impressive and scary movie. There's a lot to like about this one.

Like the idea of going in with the faux documentary style, because it gets you closer to the main characters. You get to live with them and their trials (Laura), their frustrations (Deb and Harris) and fears (the one camera guy who wants to make a run for it).

Or the notion that the makers found a way to visualise the horrors of suffering from Alzheimer's and its symptoms and consequences. For this and the next generation, this will probably be scariest disease to die from, making the explanation about its working less expositional and more fascinating. And best illustrated at the end. Before we even get the chance to have a “happy ending”, the disease is already there, ready to mercilessly pounce.

And of course the fact that this is all wrapped up into an entertaining horror flick, with good special effects and solid scares. Again, the possessing devil as a metaphor for the day to day fears of people related to a Alzheimer's patient. How will they be? Will they recognize me? Will they know my name? How does it feel when they don't?

Good stuff. Well recommended.