View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 11:21 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Aliens was a great film. It was definitely funny too. Great lines like, "They can bill me!".

I remember in the film review TV show Siskel & Ebert, Ebert suggested maybe the movie had too much fast action at the end. I think he was wrong, but films would go on to having over extended action sequences, thinking of the Hobbit. And Siskel actually gave it a thumbs down. He was put off by the long constant monster attack ending and was morally offended that they used a child in peril as an emotional device.

It was interesting to hear Ebert say he was waiting for the reveal that Newt had been egged the whole time. One of Alien 3's flaws to manifest. lol

Now that you mention it, I've never seen the Special Edition version. I checked the runtime, and I see this has 17 more minutes. That's a fair amount. I look forward to it.

Extended films so far tend to be more interesting than superior. Thinking of the Lord of the Rings and Alien. One exception would be Dune (1984), which really changed the emphasis and meaning of the film in a positive way.

Thanks for showing that...boy, those two could squabble like an old married couple!

I think they missed the fact that Newt became a surrogate daughter for Ripley and the mention of Newt being infected is almost a teaser for ALIEN3. I saw that on opening day with a friend and what a tremendous downer the first few minutes are!

When I lived in the Chicago area (1976-79 at Fort Sheridan, sandwiched between Highwood and Lake Forest), my Dad got the CHICAGO TRIBUNE and I used to read Siskel's reviews, but He could be hard on many scary/edgy films, where Ebert was a little more accommodating.