View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 01:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
ALIENS (1986)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

One of the best films of the 80's or any decade, this sequel to 1979's ALIEN moves like an out of control Roller coaster and still remember the huge adrenaline rush I got seeing it in the theaters. Watching it again, still think the film is marvelous, but thought to myself how so many MOMENTS make the film (and I'm talking the Directors cut with almost a half hour more footage)...Ripley's reaction over her daughter, Bishops trick with the knife, Sargent Apone's interactions with the troops (and how bad I felt when He is killed), Hudson's showing off, the moment the aliens come out of hiding after the colonists are found, Riply and Newt being terrorized by the face huggers, th moment the group realizes they overlooked an area where the aliens are, the discovery of the Queen )I LOVE the part when Ripley cocks her head) and the final Mano a Mano onboard the SULACO.

Also, SO MANY GREAT quotes..."I don't know...Is there anything You can do?", "I heard that!", "Looks like love at first sight to Me!", "Stop Your grinning' and drop Your linen!", "LET'S ROCK!", "Aw..that;s great! That's just fuckin' great!",
"Not bad for a Human" and most especially..."Get away from Her, You Bitch!" Now and always *****
Aliens was a great film. It was definitely funny too. Great lines like, "They can bill me!".

I remember in the film review TV show Siskel & Ebert, Ebert suggested maybe the movie had too much fast action at the end. I think he was wrong, but films would go on to having over extended action sequences, thinking of the Hobbit. And Siskel actually gave it a thumbs down. He was put off by the long constant monster attack ending and was morally offended that they used a child in peril as an emotional device.

It was interesting to hear Ebert say he was waiting for the reveal that Newt had been egged the whole time. One of Alien 3's flaws to manifest. lol

Now that you mention it, I've never seen the Special Edition version. I checked the runtime, and I see this has 17 more minutes. That's a fair amount. I look forward to it.

Extended films so far tend to be more interesting than superior. Thinking of the Lord of the Rings and Alien. One exception would be Dune (1984), which really changed the emphasis and meaning of the film in a positive way.